Telemark History Trip - The Return (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
whilst we're picking holes......it's lovely to see that you're good enough with the bow drill these days to not carry any other form of firestarter, good work! cheers

stuart

Stuart as a smoker I had about 10 lighters on me or in my bergen, we both had ferro rods and back up rubber innertube and vaseline cotton buds. As there were no fires allowed between Apr - Sept the Meths stoves were all we needed to fire up. :)

What issues did you have with your knives then guys? Noticed that Twodogs is replacing his with a SS Mora for the next time.

Just the time of year Jonathan - tipped it down and rust formed despite Ren Wax, plus we didn't use them at all, apart from cutting some sausages for a meal. :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Stuart as a smoker I had about 10 lighters on me or in my bergen, we both had ferro rods and back up rubber innertube and vaseline cotton buds. As there were no fires allowed between Apr - Sept the Meths stoves were all we needed to fire up. :) QUOTE]

just occasionally our wonderfully anti-social habit comes into it's own!

cheers

stuart

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
And my kit list:

Bergen , Berghaus vulcan,
Brit Issue Bivi worked well but..... Jervens bag mmmm shiny
Sleeping bag Softie 9
DD Tarp 3 x3 Guylines attached
German army folding sleep mat,
Wash kit, pine tar soap, micro fibre cloth , foot powder, tooth paste and brush ,
Underwear x4
socks (decatlon) x4
T shirts x3
Spare trousers , light weight cotton
Beghaus Goretex jecket replace with Water proof MVP jacket army issue,
Insect repelent , Nordic summer,
Mosie head net,
HH waistcaot and jumper combo,
UCO Candle plus 3 citronella candles Not required
Knife- Philip Siddell Companion Mk2 Replace with Mora
Local area map
Compass
Water filter Pre Mac not required
Sigg copy 1 litre water bottle
Army 1 Litre water bottle
Ortlieb 5 liter folding bucket
Spoon
folding cup
Australian Slouch Hat, plus wool hat (sleeping),
Gloves
Head torch with fresh battiries
1 pair AA spare batts
Bog roll
Trangia 27
Camera
Sunglasses
Rations ( five day)
flip flops
ipod
Passport
Tickets
E111 form
Cash
Water proof bag for above paper work .

dsc04162e.jpg

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
looks like a seriously great trip and even greater lists of kit! wow, well done.
just interested, why ditch the beghaus jacket for the mvp one? i have mvp and like it just wondered what benefits you see in this item over the berg jacket.

cheers
Rob
And my kit list:

Bergen , Berghaus vulcan,
Brit Issue Bivi worked well but..... Jervens bag mmmm shiny
Sleeping bag Softie 9
DD Tarp 3 x3 Guylines attached
German army folding sleep mat,
Wash kit, pine tar soap, micro fibre cloth , foot powder, tooth paste and brush ,
Underwear x4
socks (decatlon) x4
T shirts x3
Spare trousers , light weight cotton
Beghaus Goretex jecket replace with Water proof MVP jacket army issue,
Insect repelent , Nordic summer,
Mosie head net,
HH waistcaot and jumper combo,
UCO Candle plus 3 citronella candles Not required
Knife- Philip Siddell Companion Mk2 Replace with Mora
Local area map
Compass
Water filter Pre Mac not required
Sigg copy 1 litre water bottle
Army 1 Litre water bottle
Ortlieb 5 liter folding bucket
Spoon
folding cup
Australian Slouch Hat, plus wool hat (sleeping),
Gloves
Head torch with fresh battiries
1 pair AA spare batts
Bog roll
Trangia 27
Camera
Sunglasses
Rations ( five day)
flip flops
ipod
Passport
Tickets
E111 form
Cash
Water proof bag for above paper work .

dsc04162e.jpg

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
looks like a seriously great trip and even greater lists of kit! wow, well done.
just interested, why ditch the beghaus jacket for the mvp one? i have mvp and like it just wondered what benefits you see in this item over the berg jacket.

cheers
Rob

The jacket was brand new and unused and, just like the review on The Gadget Show, http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/jon-test/waterproof-jackets

mine didn't survive the downpour, whereas Cliff in his Brit Issue jacket was fine.

Luckily I was issued both when I was working so they haven't cost me anything.:lmao:

Luckily

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
That was brilliant.

Love the pics. Not easy getting shots that good.

Love the writeup. Nicely done.

Love the trip.

Thank you for sharing and sharing so well.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
Hi Guys, Twodogs and MartinK9.
I am just back from a trip to the Hardangervidda plateau. I went as part of a group of five from The Irish Bushcraft Club. I had read this post and thought Let's give it a go. We flew Ryanair from Dublin to Rygge. We hired a car as we figured it wouldn't cost much more than public transport split five ways. It took us about three hours to drive from Rygge to Rjukan. First stop was the tourist office, very helpful, to get local maps. Then into one of the local outdoor shops , a quick trip to the local supermarket for emergency supplies (chocolate) ,and then to the cable car. The cable car was due to close at 4pm. We arrived at 3.45pm. The office was closed. It looked like we were going to have to bivy down in the car park. As I was about to give up a member of staff came out and told me that the cable car was under repair and closed for maintenance but they could make special trips. In a matter of a couple of minutes we had emptied the car and we were on our way.`( We did have to pay a little extra for this but we were very happy to). We stopped at the top of the cable car as it was raining heavy and made a brew and repacked where necessary. The next few days we followed the saboteurs route ending up at Vemork . I had read the story of The Heros of Telemark , seen the Ray Mears tv programme and always wanted to visit Norway but it was not until I read this tread that I knew that It is not as difficult as it seems. Thanks Lads for the inspiration, the planning and guidance.
The last night we too were looking for some where to stay so we drove about quarter mile from the end of the runway and found a forested area beside a lake. It doesn't get much better than this. We flew back to Dublin on Monday morning thinking to ourselves we have to do this again.
Thanks Lads.
Tony.
(we are getting photos together at the moment )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE