Teak for handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
i have just demo'd an old building and have found a big plank of teak, i wondered if anyone had used it for knife handles? or have any other use's.

it is very tightly grained and extremely hard.

Adam.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
It would be a shame to cut up a big plank for handles. Don't know a furniture maker? Can't think of a larger project?

It would work well for handles, but teak is such a nice wood for so many other things.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I was just looking on "Thorogoods timber site" to id some wood I've got and spotted this about Teak:-

"Teak is strong and hard but is rather brittle along the grain. It enjoys a world-wide reputation owing to its durability and small movement in fluctuating atmospheres."

Possibly not the best wood for a handle if it might split?

Rich

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I used teak to rehandle a Mora 2000 blade.Works a treat.The knife is purely a rough use knife for the garden so doesn't have to look pretty.
Teak is a very oily wood and looks after itself very well.;)

EDIT: Keep a look out for old parquet floors if you're in the habit of demolishing old buildings.There are some lovely blocks of nicely figured wood used in the older floors.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Teak can be brittle, but no more than some other woods. I have used it for handles and as said previously because of the high oil content does not need any treatment to preserve it at all. No reason why you could not use it. If it's any good, I wouldn'd mind a bit of it:rolleyes: :D

The only drawback is that it can be a bit boring to look at! But, if the wood you got hold off is from an old building, that could be completely different because what you would have then is "old growth" which is far better quality, probably less brittle and denser, possibly with better grain, than the carp you get (at vast expense) nowadays.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I rather like it for handle material. It has a nice feel to it. It is not as spectacular as Masur Birch, but you can get patterns like this:

eklund_knife.JPG

Blade is from M . Eklund, in AEB-L

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE