Teach me about GPS!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Also worth learing about Nationa lgrids, Universal transverse Mercator projections.

Plus the difference between OSGB36, ETRS89 and WGS84 (and others) as even using Lat and Long on different co-ordiante systems will but you in different places (normally by hundred metres). You need to know which grid system you are using and set it accordingly.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
John's right. Resist.

I use a hand-held GPS as a backup when sailing. The Man Overboard facility is a potential lifesaver but fortunately I've never had to use it. I did once give thanks to the GPS genie one night when I was looking for a marker buoy off Helston only to find that the light had gone out so it was invisible. If I hadn't had the GPS on board I'd have had an uncomfortable night on watch instead of a comfortable night's kip moored well up the river.

Otherwise, I wouldn't even own one. I woulldn't dream of using one while driving, I find proper route planning wiith maps a lot more useful and effective. I see people staring at Tom-Toms while they're driving along too close behind an artic instead of planning their next overtake.

It would sorely grieve me to spend a few hundred quid on a GPS device only to find that I then had to spend a whole lot more on the bloomin' maps. Stuff that. A lat/long will do me just fine, and if I'm in a boat I've got a pretty good idea of my altitude.

Oh, and the chart still works when it's been soaked by a wave. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE