Tatonka SS flask strange taste after milton sterilise??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
As title, not sure whats happended but it just doesn't taste right after being cleaned,

have I killed it with a milton tabs clean?

I have washed it 10 times and put boiling water through it 4+ times and still isnt right.

At the moment i am trying my old vango SS flask to see how that tasted compared. This one hasnt been miltoned.

cheers

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Chlorine can/will bugger up both Aluminium and other metals. Even stainless steel!

Pour in a handful of larg-ish grained sharp sand, some water and create a slurry. Then shake vigorously while you watch sports on TV.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Have never had to milton my stainless steel flask. I use it for storing milk when out canoeing. I once had to chisel the milk out after I came back a canoe trip, went on holiday for two weeks, came back, went on a business trip for two weeks then forgot all about it until my next canoe trip. I literally went in with a wooden tongue depressor an had to leverage the 'milk' out... After a bit it time and then a good bit of work with the bottle brush it was good as new. Chlorine does have a nasty effect on stainless so Janne's slurry idea is well worth a try.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Couple of teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda, and hot water... left in for a bit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you fill a stainless steel sink with water and add some bleach, leave it for an hour then drain, you'll have a very shiny stainless steel sink....up to the level of the water.
Thing is though, chlorine sublimates, turns to gas, so you could just leave the bottle open and out in the sunshine for a bit to encourage that.

Chlorine bleach is made by mixing chlorine and caustic soda and it is widely used to sterlise water (Milton is safe for babies when used correctly, so it won't hurt you even if the taste does feel 'tainted'.

The other suggestion is to fill the bottle with activated charcoal and water (or just break open the used filter cartridge from the water jug and use the contents in the bottle filled with water) and leave it to soak for a while.

I think scouring it out might just leave a surface that will trap anything like milk or other organics.

M

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Milton contains Salt (NaCl, table salt) and Sodium hypo chlorite (NaClO) . Plus water.

One of the mildest and best sterilizing solution. Isotonic too.

It depends on what kind of S/steel it is made from. Some s/steels corrode badly if exposed to Cl compounds.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks All, I See someone suggested egg shells as an abrasive, but then i only ever put boiling water in my flasks. i think i might retire it and get a new one, there is some odd marks inside no mater what i try.
it's lasted more than 10 years so, had my moneys worth. The cap is a little temperamental anyway.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
A nice abrasive is cruhed walnut shells.
We shooters use it to clean brass without taking any off, before reloading.
But as Christmas is over walnuts might be difficult to get?

You can repurpose it by making a cup. Cut back, bend edge, nice wooden or leather handle....
:)

10 years is a good life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE