On Oca

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I quite like fartichokes :D But yes, the name is earned!

Elen makes a good point on the JA - but I have found that if you want to eliminate them, they are easy to identify....when the new ones pop up, just hoik them up like weeds. Keep that up till early summer and they are all gone.

Round here I suspect JA would be tricky as we get very high winds. But I think you could establish a permanent JA / Oca bed in a sheltered spot. I like that idea for a lot of people. My parsnip bed where I seed saved from the biennials this year is covered in "volunteer" seedlings where some seed fell. Goes to show that you could easily get a perennial parsnip bed too. Low effort techniques I think are always interesting - I'm not a convert to permaculture or forest gardening, but I think you can blend techniques from them into conventional gardening and find an approach that suits you and your land.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The american indians had a 3 crop system

They would plant corn, beans and squash in the same ground The corn would go in first, the beans would then grow up the corn with the squash growing on the ground below / between them.

Its just a high efficiency/max production system for a given space. :)

I tried "three sisters" this year = it doesn't like 80mph winds :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, I really want to grow interesting corns like Hopi blue etc.

Sadly I am just in the wrong place :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just the high winds here Mark - it smashes them flat. We are planting some windbreak hedges that may help in a year or two

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep the next bit to go in is a mix of blackthorn, hazel and crab apple with some dog rose and hawthorn mixed in.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA

Elen makes a good point on the JA - but I have found that if you want to eliminate them, they are easy to identify....when the new ones pop up, just hoik them up like weeds. Keep that up till early summer and they are all gone.
Red

JA are easy to get rid of ... when compared to getting rid of a patch of mint - it took me years to finally get rid of some lemon mint mistakingly planted without good containment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE