Tarps on the Cheap?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I bought one of these last summer (the DPM), and modified it, I removed all the aluminium rings which are useless, cut it square, sewed the cut edges on a ordinary sewing machine. With the remnant bits I made 8 straps ie: you take a strip about 3" wide and 12", fold them in 4 and sew them lengthways, then sew them on the tarp,, one in each corner, and one 1/2 way between the corners. Now I haven't not actually used it as I had intended, but it has spent the whole winter since about october, covering my dinghy outside. I know that stuff deteriorates in sunlight after a while, but it has not show any signs of deterioration yet, no rips or tears and it's been pretty windy on a couple of occasions!. So I think it would make a good tarp with those mods. It is a bit noisier than ripstop nylon and heavier but does a good job of keeping the weather off my boat!!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I used a 6m x 8m as a group shelter for a camp of 12 people but the wind blew up and ripped half the eyelets out. There is a thin nylon thread glued into the seam and the sheet just about held but it is going to need some serious work before I could use it again,

JoJo's tapes idea is interesting and I might give that a go excpet mine is bigger and I don't have access to a sewing machine :sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE