Tarps on the Cheap?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Does anybody know if it would be possible to cut down a large (8m x 6m) plastic tarpaulin (think B&Q plastic sheet but in DPM) into smaller sections (3m x 2m) and use them for personal tarps?

How would I sel the edges?

Would I need to run a length of paracord inside the edge seam to help spread the load?

Can I easily fit rings or would I be bette off sticking on tape?

Is this a waste of time and I would be better off buying a pile of small tarps from Tarpaflex? http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/product_shop2_economy.htm:confused:

Forgot to mention its for teh local explorer scouts not personal use, so it needs to be reliable and good value for money :approve:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Of the two options you've given, I'd go for the tarpaflex. Their prices are fair and it would save you a ton of hassle. One word of warning though, these tarps are tarpaulins, which is not the same as the tarps mentioned here or commonly used as Bashas etc, as these tend to made from the likes of ripstop nylon or other material.

I hope I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs... :)

Cheers, Nag.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
If you're looking for something cheap then have you considered using a roll of heavy duty polythene (safety issues duly noted, but correct me if im wrong, aren't Explorer Scouts of the older variety?). Im thinking about the polythene you can get to lay under your laminate flooring, the roll i have is 2m wide and about 25m long and really thick stuff (can't remember the cost). The old pebble in the corner tied with string trick to form the guylines.

Another alternative would be to nip down to your local pound shop and pick up a handful of shower curtains.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
You could go for the army Individual Protection Kit, tarp is about 8x6 i think, comes with ally pegs and plenty of really strong cord, and you can pick them up for about £2.50.I know Genuine Army Surplus did stock them. Hope this helps.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
If you already have the 8x6 tarp and if it's anything like my own huge DPM plastic one, then I reckon you could cut it down no problem. You won't need to seal the edges but I'd roll them a couple of times and sew them tight to form a hem about an inch wide. I'd then hammer brass eyelets into the new corners, and loop a bit of paracord through each. If you already have the tarp then that way will only cost you a couple of quid for the eyelets and you'll get 4 new ~3x2 tarps out of it.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Its a good point but thanks yes I apreciate the differrence (and not just £36 as opposed to £5) ;)

Many of my older Explores have prety good kit but some can't afford it and I wanted soemthing to lend to new members before they started paying out hard cash:)

We already have the big tarpaulins which are pretty useless because teh corners are all shredded. Th only use I can think for them now is cut down for ground sheets to go under our expensive tents when they are used on a fixed campsite for several days.:(

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
You could go for the army Individual Protection Kit, tarp is about 8x6 i think, comes with ally pegs and plenty of really strong cord, and you can pick them up for about £2.50.I know Genuine Army Surplus did stock them. Hope this helps.

I was interested in seeing what these were and found this link after a few seconds googling.

http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/British_Army/Individual_Protection_Kit/1310/2142.html

not quite 2.50 but close. only problem is 3.95 delivery so I might have to look one of these up when I am next near a surplus shop.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Thanks thats a good plan. I have just bought a couple to see how we get on with them.:)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
As far as I'm aware IPK kits have a coating of lead (the IR coating) so fine just make sure you wash your hands after handling it. Maybe best not to use as a groundsheet to sleep on/ cook on.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Has anyone ordered from the Tarpaflex site before? I am interested in buying one of their large comouflage pattern tarpaulins but could seem to find the checkout link on their site? I am probably being a bit blind...

Is their delivery etc, and ultimately the tarpaulins any good

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Has anyone ordered from the Tarpaflex site before? I am interested in buying one of their large comouflage pattern tarpaulins but could seem to find the checkout link on their site? I am probably being a bit blind...

Is their delivery etc, and ultimately the tarpaulins any good
Thats where these ones came from, but somebody else did the actuall buying.

The DPM tarp is still waterproof, but the eyelets didn't last long, although to be fair the first time out it was a bit of a blow on. We have managed to jury rig it each time as a group shelter but I have a parachute no which is much easier and lighter so we don't need the tarps.:)

The blue tarp is still fine, but that has only been used to provide shade at a Garden party and the weather was quite nice.:approve:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Got my Camo Tarpaulin through from Tarpaflex yesterday, pretty impressed with the delivery etc. They said 5 days and it was with me in 4. I got the 2.7 by 3.5 metre one, I intend to put it up above head height to provide a living area in the summer for when im doing bushcrafty things in the woods. The tarp is very light, the material feels a little similar to a crisp packet (!), but not in a bad way. I can see that the eyelets may be the first thing to break so may beef them up a bit with a bit of duck tape.

But my next query is how do I attach the corners of the tarp? Obviously there will be a center line between two trees, but unsure of how to fasten the corner. I could take the cord straight to the ground and peg it in but then the sides of the tarp will be at too-steap an angle. I suppose I could tie the corner guys to trees but what if there arent trees conveniently placed in the correct position?

Yours confused

BB

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Got my Camo Tarpaulin through from Tarpaflex yesterday, pretty impressed with the delivery etc. They said 5 days and it was with me in 4. I got the 2.7 by 3.5 metre one, I intend to put it up above head height to provide a living area in the summer for when im doing bushcrafty things in the woods. The tarp is very light, the material feels a little similar to a crisp packet (!), but not in a bad way. I can see that the eyelets may be the first thing to break so may beef them up a bit with a bit of duck tape.

But my next query is how do I attach the corners of the tarp? Obviously there will be a center line between two trees, but unsure of how to fasten the corner. I could take the cord straight to the ground and peg it in but then the sides of the tarp will be at too-steap an angle. I suppose I could tie the corner guys to trees but what if there arent trees conveniently placed in the correct position?

Yours confused

BB

For the corner guy lines, you either need really long lines but thats not really practical. You could try using sticks a few feet from the corners to act like tent poles or mini trees. Attach your line to the corner then out to the pole / stick ( which should be stuck into the ground to stabilise it) wrap the line around it a couple of times, ideally having the line come over the top of it before finally going down at a steep angle to your peg.

Cheers, nag.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
One answer is more to do with where and how(shape) you pitch your tarp I think
I find I rarely use pegs in fact I dont take them in woodland simply because I know I wont need them
You can use trees logs boulders make pegs or poles from fallen branches whatever and the great advantage is they dont come out of the ground like small pegs,Improvisation is better and cheaper
I do have longish guy ropes which gives me flexibility
Also think about bungees
Those pegs with the IPK are big fellas I know i have one which I am going to use to build a more permanant shelter when I find a suitable spot in the summer
Sounds great fun;but then it would to me!!!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I can see that the eyelets may be the first thing to break

Use a small dowel (made from a branch 1 cm x 2 cm) twisted into the tarp corner to attach the guy lines (use an easily undoable knot), this is usually stronger than the supplied eyelets on most tarps. Then cut some sweet chestnut or similar and poke those through the eyelets to raise the sides of your working area.

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
As far as I'm aware IPK kits have a coating of lead (the IR coating) so fine just make sure you wash your hands after handling it. Maybe best not to use as a groundsheet to sleep on/ cook on.

Hmm can this stuff be washed off or removed in some way? Not seeming like such a bargain tarp any more...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE