Tarps and bivy bags??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock or bivy bag

• Hammock & tarp

Votes: 71 41.5%
  • Bivy bag & tarp

Votes: 100 58.5%

• Total voters

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hammock and tarp as a preference but I take a bivvi as well if I don't know the area. You can get all three for under £100 if you look around.

Good thing about a bivvi is that it raises the temperature of your sleeping abg a few degrees. If you get a side opening bivi you can use it in the hammock as well.

Pablo

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I choose tarp and Bivi, only because, here in Canada, it stays cool at night unless it's July or August.
Would like to try a hammock in summer though, in lake country it can stay hot during the night.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I'd absolutely love to be able to sleep in a hammock, but I can only sleep on my front!

I know - very sad...:dunno:

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
DD camping hammock and a Calstermans Outdoor Survival Store (ebay vendor) 3x3m tarp for me.
Interesting to see the voting is 50:50.

Chris

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i always carry both options.
Hammock/tarp is always the favourite option, but it's handy to have a bivvy bag for when the weather closes in, and if I can't find decent trees.
adding a bivvi bag doesn't add much to the load, but adds incredibly to the versatility of your kit.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tend to take both hammock and bivvi bag - especially if I am using a down bag when I think that a bivvi is essential to ensure the bag is not soaked by horizontal rain - which is very common in Wales! - though my bag is always WAY too heavy to carry!:umbrella:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've never used a hammock, I'm not sure I could sleep on my back I prefer side or front. I'll make one and find out next time order material. So far it's bivvi n tarp for me.

Nag.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm a side-sleeper too and find the hammock very comfortable. There's a slight knack to getting comfortable - lying slightly on the diagonal usually.

If we're both at a meet-up sometime in the near future Nag, remind me and I'll bring one along for you to try.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I use the Alpkit bivi bag and while it's a bit snugger than the army one, I've got no issues with it all. Use it with a Tatonka tarp 2 simple (3m x 3m) and me and my son have loads of room underneath it even with heave rain.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi all,

I voted for the hammock & tarp, but to be honest it all depends on where I am going, out in the bush its easy to put up the hammock under my hootchie, which is good for summer, but in winter to be honest its warmer to use the Bivvy, if there are no trees my hammock stays in my pack and I just use the hootchie & bivvy bag, I just carry both out of habit, but then again I have spent too many years sleeping this way through my previous employer's good graces.... hmmm come to think of it I hate sleeping on the ground... :rolleyes:

Anyway it's all good...

Stay safe and keep it fun...

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Bivvy and tarp, will i be ok to use it mid December or will it be too cold ? Not used a bivvy bag before you see so i want to try it out.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
hammock and tarp (I love my hammock)
bivybag ect would be second choice, when there are no suitable trees.

personaly my suggestion for aquiring hammocks is to make your own, if you shop around a bit (and already have acess to a sewing machine) it only costs a few quid. mine was about £10 for the main matiriel, £6 for main lines, then add some nylon webbing (from army utill straps), some paracord and some thread and your finished. total cost was about £25 all told (and I had paracord left over)

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
Anyone ever tried a small dog in a hammock?:D

Sunday night I tried my new Hennessey hammock for the first time and I brought along my little fury jack russle shaped hot water bottle :) and to be honest I didn’t even notice he was there! That thing is surprisingly spacious. most of the night he laid at my side infill he woke me up about 4 in the morning shivering trying to find his way in to my sleeping bag lol..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE