Tarps and bivy bags??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock or bivy bag

• Hammock & tarp

Votes: 71 41.5%
  • Bivy bag & tarp

Votes: 100 58.5%

• Total voters
Ive been looking at getting a tarp and a hammock, however this seems dependant on the availability of suitable places to attach your hammock to.

I wanted to know what people thought was best and if anyone could recommend a good bivy bag and tarp that would not cost too much (both for £50 to £100) that would be a real help :0

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'll watch this post with interest. I'm looking to get a hammock/tarp combination to use in the wilds of Scotland.;)

I find my hammock more comftable than my own bed, with a bivvy bay you can be sloping, or bumpy ground, stones but with the hammock you are always level and flat (if put up right) the only problem with the hammock is that getting in your sleeping bag and then hammock is an art.

but it depends on where you are going, the hammock has the limitation of needing 2 well spaced trees or other posts where as a bivvy can be put up anywhere, and of course you can't fall out of a bivvy.

For Hammock & Tarp combo I would reccomend DD Hammocks both for under £50 http://www.ddhammocks.com/

I really like the DD hammocks because they are double skined and have a zip that runs along them so you can get inside and zip yourself in (sadly they are not water or windproof)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I carry both so that if there's no trees then bivvy but I'd prefer to hammock. In a DD hammock I'll always either use the bivvy as a poor mans underblanket and push it between the 2 bottom layers or use it as a sleeping bag outer and be super warm. There's no point in it lying in your ruck, it's doing nothing there. Even if ground camping you should still use the DD with the netting to keep the midges off by erecting on the ground.

Getting in is an art and youtubes of everyone's methods would be hilarious! I've a wee bit of PVC groundsheet about 1ft sq I carry with me for sitting on etc and so I get my boots off and stand on this. Now pull out the sleeping bag (and bivvy) and carefully get into it and wriggle it up before putting the hood over my head to keep it under tension (!) all the while standing on the wee groundsheet and with my back to the hammock. Sit down on the hammock, scoop up your mini groundsheet and get your legs in. Zip up bag, zip up mozzie net and you're in! To misquote the Haines manual getting out is the reverse of getting in!

You'll never see Ray doing it that way but it works for me so :nana: :D

Cheers,

Alan

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
You'll never see Ray doing it that way but it works for me so :nana: :D

i think everyone has their own little ritual method of getting bunked down, kit and personal oddness dependant. its always fun to watch other peoples methods

as for bivy Vs. Hammock. its all down to location i think. its been years since i was anywhere you could do a hammock camp. unfortunately.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
If I know there will be something to hang from, tarp and hammock. The only hammock I've tried is a magikelly group buy one from here which is great. Light, packs small, very comfortable. I aim to sleep in it whenever possible. Cost £20.

You need a tarp 3m long if you want to cover the whole thing without getting creative with the angles at which you hang it. Mine is from ebay and is very good quality (£35).

For a bivvie, I've used the army goretex one which is excellent (bombproof, breathable, roomy, cheapish at £30). I've just downsized to the Alpkit hunka which weighs 700g less (!), is a bit snugger, less robust, but solid, waterproof and breathable (and ony £25).

Either way you still need some under insulation on all but the balmiest summer nights. If I'm sure of trees, I take a homemade underblanket made from a cut-down sleeping bag. Otherwise I have a 3/4 thermarest.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If there are trees, then it's the hammock every time: comfortable, warm (with underblanket!) and a really good night's sleep.

If it's up in the hills or there's some uncertainty about woodland being there, then I'll take the tarp (strung out between two trekking poles, if necessary) and the bivvy bag. I've got an enormous bivvy bag - ex-Australian army - made of a close cousin of Goretex, which gives me plenty of room and doesn't give that feeling of claustrophobia like some racing snake-sized bags. Stick a karrimat under it and it can be pretty comfortable :rolleyes: - but, to my mind, it's almost better trying to seek out some trees and getting the hammock out!:D

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Hammock is the preference but I always carry a snugpak bivi which although tight, snug even :D, is very light and packs down really small. If I know I'm going to bivi, I take my Dutch Army one that I mod'ed by adding a zip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I voted for hammock and tarp but I do use a bivvy aswell during the colder months, it does take some wriggling about to get in at first but always worth the effort. It`s not too bad with an open hammock but I used my Hennessy for the first time last weekend and after two minutes of squirming around I was in and warm.

Rich

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
hi i did the last dd hammock buy...i'm doing it again about may time...so if you can wait till then you would say a few pounds.....just thought i'd let you know:)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I went for the bivi bag and tarp. If I'm going somewhere local where I know there'll be suitable trees I'll take a hammock in preference though; the bivi's big advantage is you can use it pretty much anywhere.
I have a DD hammock and tarp which I like (bit heavy though!), for a cheap bivi bag your best bet's prob an army surplus one

If I know there will be something to hang from, tarp and hammock. The only hammock I've tried is a magikelly group buy one from here which is great. Light, packs small, very comfortable. I aim to sleep in it whenever possible. Cost £20.

You need a tarp 3m long if you want to cover the whole thing without getting creative with the angles at which you hang it. Mine is from ebay and is very good quality (£35).

For a bivvie, I've used the army goretex one which is excellent (bombproof, breathable, roomy, cheapish at £30). I've just downsized to the Alpkit hunka which weighs 700g less (!), is a bit snugger, less robust, but solid, waterproof and breathable (and ony £25).

Either way you still need some under insulation on all but the balmiest summer nights. If I'm sure of trees, I take a homemade underblanket made from a cut-down sleeping bag. Otherwise I have a 3/4 thermarest.

How snug is the Alpkit?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Been having a look around and found a cheap British army basha (think that's how u spell it;) ) can anyone tell me if this is different from a tarp or just a different name

Cheers:newbie:

Tarp / Basha / Hootchie = the same thing.

With reference the Army basha, is it the newer shelter sheet or a poncho? Both can be used to sleep under, you just have to tie off the hood so that you don't get drips.

Both has pros & cons, depends on what you are looking for.

Shelter sheets are bigger, with no hood, but ponchos can be worn to keep you and your rucksac dry.

Ok, now that I've opened the tarp / poncho can of worms I will withdraw to a safe distance! :BlueTeamE

HTH

Simon

EDIT:
To answer the original question, like many others have said, it depends on where you are going! I always carry both, mainly because I use my bivvy bag (Ex Army OD) as a rucksac liner to keep my gear dry.

For a good nights sleep you can't beat a hammock, but you can't always find suitable supports.

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
It's a dificult one to vote on, each has their place....i would go for the hammock for comfort, but if there are no trees............or it's cold..........the bivi bag wins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE