Tarping in Wales???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
I'll be camping by the sea in Pembrokeshire with my Explorer group in August.

We have to make our own sleeping arrangements.

I have three options:
  • A tall, very old tent (with a single "arch pole" setup)
  • An old tent with a much lower profile but two broken poles
  • My DD 3x3m tarp

If I was to use my tarp, which would be my preferred option, what setup could I use to keep out the Atlantic wind and weather?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I used this set up in really strong wind and it worked really well...
DSCN2973.jpg

DSCN2980.jpg

...tarp was a 3 x 3m DD.

Used properley, tarps offer just as much protection as a tent. Youtube is your friend in this...there are loads of videos on how to set up a tarp...enjoy!

Simon

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Thanks Simon.

I forgot to mention that there are nor trees at the campsite, and I have to leave early next week and I'll be away from home till the camp

I'll carry on looking on Youtube.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The good thing about Wales is that the wind direction is usually predictable and constant, so once you work out where it is coming from, a simple lean-to style shelter will be adequate, unless things turn really nasty. I've had great success with that basic set up.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

Neatly done - how big is the tarp?

I used this set up in really strong wind and it worked really well...
DSCN2973.jpg

DSCN2980.jpg

...tarp was a 3 x 3m DD.

Used properley, tarps offer just as much protection as a tent. Youtube is your friend in this...there are loads of videos on how to set up a tarp...enjoy!

Simon

I always mean to get that way sorted, haven't as yet. Great setup.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have found these two videos quite informative for a couple of styles
[video=youtube;PFUaefaPAhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFUaefaPAhU[/video] [video=youtube;nrekvG4HEog]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrekvG4HEog&feature=related[/video]

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
The one pole setup works well, especially if you carry a staff. i stand my staff and run a ridgeline from it to the ground just over 3m away. tarp over the top and peg down the corners. similar to what simon has posted but much flatter. it allows you to snuggle right in and as your low to the ground it really protects you from the elements. i'll post a couple of pics tonight (don't have em in work) to show you what i mean but i rate it as very effective.

as for what Simon has posted, thats my next setup challenge, i've been wanting to try that for a while.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Where in Pembs are you going to be?
I live and play in Pembs and normally just use a standard "flying roof" over my hammock, a "lean-to" if ground dwelling or an "endless-ridge-tent" if the weather is bad and I am ground dwelling :)
Are you going to be in trees or on open pitches?
Lowland or in the Preselis?
Tarp would be my choice for it all anyway!

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I did some of the Pembrokeshire Coast walk last summer with a couple of Friends, We were all camping down there on one of the campsites, A few of us decided to wander off for a couple of days one of the lads with us used a tarp and single pole setup , It worked well, But then the weather was nice. We had an overnighter in a Wood just off the path at New Hedges which was relatively secluded so hardly any wind to speak of. It's a beautiful part of the country

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@John
"You must have visitted between December and November - that is the Gog rainy season :)"

I was there many weekends for about 15 years - usually between April and September, when not in the Lakes. Either way, it rained... a lot. That and midges make me definitely an enclosed tent person, with horizontal rain and bug protection:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
@John
"You must have visitted between December and November - that is the Gog rainy season :)"

I was there many weekends for about 15 years - usually between April and September, when not in the Lakes. Either way, it rained... a lot. That and midges make me definitely an enclosed tent person, with horizontal rain and bug protection:)
Aye - April and September are between December and November ... the hight of the rainy season!:)
South of the Landsker the weather is much more Mediteranian....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE