Tarpaulin - size

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi all,

My first serious question on this forum, for which I couldn't find an answer by myself ...

I'm looking for a good tarp, and found some ... in different sizes ...
My question: does size matters? :yikes: :eek:):

I found the following sizes:
* 270x175 cm (Woodlore)
* 220x150 cm (Local outdoorshop)
* 295x215 cm (idem dito)

During my Woodlore FBC course we used the 270x175 in some pretty bad weather ... and because I'm 194 cm long, there was only a small place left for my backpack (at that moment I didn't had a raincover thingy, but now I do have one :super: ).
There for I think I prefer the 295x215 cm, but I'm not quite sure ... isn't it TO big?

The tarps from my local outdoorshop are NATO spec., and available in all sorts of camo :roll: (UK, US, NL, flecktarn, etc.) & olive, and even Aussie :naughty: camo!!

A second question pops in my mind, while typing all the above.
How does one use a tarp, when there are no trees :yikes: around?

Hope you can give me some words of advice.

Cheers!

:wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I don't think it matters that much. I have a 19 £ army poncho which is 195 x 165 and is dark green. But i'm only 172 or so. :wink:

No matter what size you'll get it sorted (i mean the shelter issue). But if there's no trees I think i'd tie it with sticks to the ground and raise it with boughs, or so. :?: :wink: :biggthump

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm Nobody ever got a good night's sleep unless they could fully stretch out. Anyone who has spent one night curled up in the fetal position under a fallen log, in a survival garbage bag etc. will emphasize with me. So, a minimum dimension must be your own hieght. A hiking staff, rucksack or a pair of walking sticks can be used for pitching a shelter. There is a older lady who is an ultralight packer on the Appallachian trail system. She carries a cheap shower curtain and simply rolls up in it.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Eight feet by ten is a nice size - these are the dimensions of my Integral Designs Siltarp2.
My Hilleberg Tarp 10 is 11.5 feet by 10. No wet feet in that one!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE