Tarp snake skins.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snake skins on a tarp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have, It's awesome :D

You are going by thicker tarps and thicker skins. I have a superfly and as net skin and it packs/compresses down to same either way. If there is any difference its negligible and wouldn't force you to have to remove skin to be able to get it into same space.

I'm sure there's not much in it but you'll always be able to fit 1kg of sausage meat into a smaller space than 1kg of sausages - same principle. But as stu says, I don't really see the point. Bishop bags are where it's at.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I ended up going "hybrid".
I tie off the tarp on the ridgeline with 5 pieces of paracord so it looks almost like in a snake skin but it will go in to the drybag much easier than a stiff sausage. When I deploy the tarp the strings are used as drip lines and to tie UQ suspention to the hammock ridgeline, like UQ clips.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm sure there's not much in it but you'll always be able to fit 1kg of sausage meat into a smaller space than 1kg of sausages - same principle. But as stu says, I don't really see the point. Bishop bags are where it's at.

Only because if you compress the sausages the casings will likely split which would defeat the point in compressing them. With tarp tubes its not going to split and therefor they will go into same space.

Yes bishop bags are good, I use one for my hammock as that gets fully deployed so I have a seat. However as mentioned earlier using tarp tube adds versatility in deploying/taking down if not needed straight away or just want some room while getting things setup. I like just hooking it up and then tensioning it out and leaving as is if wanted or pulling tubes across and everything is packed away.

Who knows, I may change mind at some point but at the moment I like using tarp tube and stuff sack.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Different tarps and different choices.
The skins work for me with a superfly,

Indeed, they work great with superfly for various reasons. A bishop bag on its own is also a great way to deploy/pack away but I like the versatility of the net tube/sack.

I fell in love with your setup bud which is why I had to have it!! :D

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Indeed :)

Plus storing it away in a skin is much better then keeping it all stuffed away in a sack imo. When I get home I store it away on a shelf out of the sack but still in its skin laid out.

And, it can be stuffed into all the little gaps in your pack rather than taking up one space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE