Tarp making fail.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well I failed miserably whilst making a 3.1X3 m tarp out of canvas.
There was just too much bulk pushing it through the sewing machine, and the tension was not as I wanted, the thread was very thick, this I think was a cause for concern re the tension.. Anyways I'll take it apart and start again with some new stuff, BUT this time I'm going to roll each piece together and clamp them with bulldog clips to make pushing the material much easier.
You live and learn.
Pictures if and when I finish it, and a few more.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I ran into the same problem with a bow saw and axe case I was making, it's still half done until I can be bothered to finish it by hand

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hate sewing big and thick and tough :( I think it's the juggling with the bottom bobbin tension I really find worst.

Have a word with Eric Methven, he manages it though. What about Ian/Bilmo-P5 ? he makes tarps from heavy waterproof stuff too. I know Eric has a baker tent..........though on thinking on it, did he not find a lady who makes tents to do it for him ?

We live and learn; sorry it kind of screwed up on you, but we're learning from it and your next shot at it too :)

atb,
M

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I ran into the same problem with a bow saw and axe case I was making, it's still half done until I can be bothered to finish it by hand

why not do it by hand Rich use the stitch marker the same as for leather.

Last edited:

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Well why are you making a tarp out of canvas, would you not choose a lighter material so that you can carry it with you when backpacking?

rancid badger

Definitely give Eric a shout, he made me a 12ft x 12ft very heavy canvas tarp with his "pfaff" sewing machine.

Actually, "we" made it, as it would have been almost impossible for him to do it single handed for the reason you have mentioned, it took him to feed the job through the machine and me to grab the cloth and take the weight as it went.

I've some photo's of the build somewhere.

good luck

Steve

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Well why are you making a tarp out of canvas, would you not choose a lighter material so that you can carry it with you when backpacking?

why not?, he can set a fire underneath it without fear of it melting and i know that Hugo relishes a challenge and is always looking to expand his knowledge and skill sets, apart from the fact it's nice and traditional.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
why not?, he can set a fire underneath it without fear of it melting and i know that Hugo relishes a challenge and is always looking to expand his knowledge and skill sets, apart from the fact it's nice and traditional.

Lighter doesn't necessarily mean synthetic. I've made quite a few tarps in 10oz cotton and it is easy enough to sew single-handed on a domestic machine, hand or power. In fact I just finished a 15' x 7'6" one in that material last night.

Last edited:

rancid badger

A traditional canvas tarp is a fantastic piece of kit, heres a couple of the pictures:

It's a heck of a machine he's got but he's also got the skills to go with it of course

Oh yes!
P9160024copy4.jpg

corners;
P9160046copy7.jpg

You definitely need a hand to yark the canvas around.

cheers

Steve

try a leather needle or a denim needle in the machine go for a 2 to 3mm stitch pattern and a good thread and then for someone like me i would try to pin the life out of it to hold the seams straight or a paper stappler is also one of my favorites.

but then again i do do a lot of sewing with heavy gear, i brought an old tent five years ago a massive 12 person steel frames canvas tent off fleabay for £20, rat had had a chew but i only wanted the material from it, great stuff when finished but a pain to work with,

no we dont have a big strong sewing machine either just a cheapo one

forgot to say i use 110 size needles (18) or larger say 140's if and when i can afford them, or ask for a sabre piont needle as they pretty well go through most thing

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.
The reason for the original posting is just to show that it is easy to make nice things, and also to be able to stuff up, I like a challenge do I.
Looking at Eric sewing has given me a good tip, I use the same large spool as him but have been winding the thread onto smaller cotton reels,:notworthy I did not know you can leave the large spool on the work surface and just hook it over the top spool holder, result.
Next time I'm going to use a larger table to place the work on as well, still I have plenty of canvas left, nothing ventured nothing gained.

@ Pete, I use size 18 needles mate and a large stitch pattern and plenty of pins, next time I'm going to iron Wonder web to stick id down as well (thanks to Kepis for that tip) I have a 100 meters on order but am still waiting delivery.

Cheers guys.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
...next time I'm going to iron Wonder web to stick id down as well (thanks to Kepis for that tip) I have a 100 meters on order but am still waiting delivery.

Pritt stick (or its budget equivalent) works well for tacking lighter materials and doesn't clag up the needle.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Me n Karl82 are adapting him a laavu with heavy canvas extension- we're lucky cos my old man has a big industrial lockstitcher used for car seats so it eats up to 8 layers, no problem- we've been stapling the fabric where possible as dad suggested and its a brilliant way of controlling long seams :) Keep trying, Hugo, you will overcome eventually.... or find someone local with an industrial ;)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cheers Turbogirl.
I have a machine similar to Eric, an all steel Singer 328K, practically had to rebuild it to get it up and running, which it now does really well.
The thing is I just like to try my hand at making things for the enjoyment, letting someone do the hard bit will spoil the fun.

cheers.

rancid badger

Thanks for the replies guys, very much appreciated.
The reason for the original posting is just to show that it is easy to make nice things, and also to be able to stuff up, I like a challenge do I.
Looking at Eric sewing has given me a good tip, I use the same large spool as him but have been winding the thread onto smaller cotton reels,:notworthy I did not know you can leave the large spool on the work surface and just hook it over the top spool holder, result.
Next time I'm going to use a larger table to place the work on as well, still I have plenty of canvas left, nothing ventured nothing gained.

@ Pete, I use size 18 needles mate and a large stitch pattern and plenty of pins, next time I'm going to iron Wonder web to stick id down as well (thanks to Kepis for that tip) I have a 100 meters on order but am still waiting delivery.

Cheers guys.

pm Eric Hugo, I'm sure he'll happily give you plenty of tips but I'll pm you some more pictures if you like, rather than clutter the thread-....Ooooh! no pun intended!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE