Tarp doors

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
He has got a point though. I looked for a suitable tent to convert for ages, but there's nothing with a 3m+ ridge line.

Not sure if it's 3m but the MSR Twin Brothers looks like a good solution ...

[video=youtube;I53zxRE7kEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I53zxRE7kEM[/video]

Worth watching his testing vids too

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Not much use to you but getting a 4.5 M long tarp and not pinning it to ground 1 loop before the ends (rather than at the ends) provides "doors".

Spandit did something like this but I can't remember it well enough to visulise and describe how it works properly.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
As a sailmaker and saddler and someone who likes to make and mend kit, I dont think £10 per door is a lot ,speaking from the `other side`.
For that I would have to buy the material,usually with a minimum length,plus £10 postage.Plus the fittings-press studs?
Then loft the pattern,sew the seams,and fit the press studs (with reinforcing underneath)
Not a ten minute job for £10.

I was out in my dd hammock and 3x3 tarp during the heavy snow at the end of January. I had a steady drift of fine snow blowing in at both ends of the tarp covering my hammock. I had set the tarp low in anticipation of snow and quite steep to shed the snow. Luckily I use a snugpak coccoon which sheds and rain droplets and snow so not a problem but it was quite pesky. I ended up dropping the end the snow was entering the most as demonstrated by Kepis earlier in the thread and draping my overtrousers on the other end of the tarp over my hammock. Due to the low pitching of the tarp and closing the end and the weight of the snow I ended up with very little room with only just enough space to climb into my hammock. I am considering getting a 4X3 tarp which wil allow me to close both ends and pitch it higher and steep. It really is good to get out in all weathers to see how your kit copes with what nature can throw at it.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
As a sailmaker and saddler and someone who likes to make and mend kit, I dont think £10 per door is a lot ,speaking from the `other side`.
For that I would have to buy the material,usually with a minimum length,plus £10 postage.Plus the fittings-press studs?
Then loft the pattern,sew the seams,and fit the press studs (with reinforcing underneath)
Not a ten minute job for £10.

I agree £10 per door is very reasonable. But this £20 per end, and its not strictly a door, its a triangular peice of fabric which is really designed for the british army brasher, it attaches using bungees. It's a brilliant no of kit if you wanted to completely close off an end of a basha. But I want actual doors.

But thanks for your input

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE