Tarp config question for those who hang..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

Out of interest and curiosity, which configuration to you favour for your tarp set up when you hang?

I have a DD 3x3, and have only pitched it in the "traditional" set up, ie, in half with the ridge line in the loops provided. I see that a number of people pitch with the ridge from corner to corner, in the diamnond type shape. Any reason to this preference?

Rob

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Think some of it comes down to pitching for the conditions. But its a bit like Mac Vs Windows people have there favs and will not listen to anything else :p

For me I mainly use the traditional, as I pack my tarp away with ridge line still attached so it goes back up the way I took it down.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A lot depends on the length of your hammock.

A 3x3 will just cover the sleeping area of your hammock with a traditional rigging but if the lines or even the ends of the material are out under the rain it will soak water down into your bag.

Pitching on the diagonal will give your suspension system much better coverage but at the cost of some "admin" space.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Being on the taller/longer side and using an XL hammock...
It makes sure my carabiners are well under cover so the drip rings work... It also helps to keep the wind out should it be a bit 'breezey'

Try it sometime, its very snug in bad weather, not that we get much of that latley :p

al.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
If you have three mini carabiners, its just a case of hooking up the middle, then eather end with two prussicks... Takes seconds.

Have fun :)

al.

Last edited:

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I like that idea, something I'd never thought of doing. Would work well even in the traditional shape, and would be a lot easier than packing it away with the ridge line attached I'd imagine.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
A lot depends on the length of your hammock.

A 3x3 will just cover the sleeping area of your hammock with a traditional rigging but if the lines or even the ends of the material are out under the rain it will soak water down into your bag.

Pitching on the diagonal will give your suspension system much better coverage but at the cost of some "admin" space.

My answer exactly. Here we use a 3x4 tarp to give full coverage of the suspension and a large footprint for cooking and changing. I have a 3x3 that I hang corner to corner to cover the suspension.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yep... I have Alpkit mini carabiners that live on the tarp, one for the diagonal set-up, one for traditional. I also have 6 guy ropes on the same style mini carabiners to adjust acordingly.

Set your ridgeline tight, then your tarp as you please. I think you will enjoy the diagonal lay, just remeber to pitch against the wind/breeze (if you dont already)

Regards, al.

Last edited:

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
I do pitch against the breeze, yeah.

I think I need a quick trip out tomorrow to grab some mini crabs.

I also think it won't be long before I end up getting a 3x4 tarp for a bit extra cover.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You might be surprised just how big the footprint is with a 3x3 on the diagonal... Its pretty huge!

For wild camping, its perfect for me. Setting up a semi-permanent camp (couple of days) I might consider something bigger.
Whatever you do decide, enjoy the weekend... I'm off for a solo two nighter, I think I need some me time :)

Atb, al.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yep, I use diagonal with the hammock. Firstly there's plenty of cover, even for two (fairly close friends :))

IMG_0658.jpg

Secondly, you can see out. This is an 'out the window' shot.

IMG_0691.jpg

If I was setting up for a night on the ground, I'd use the other ridgeline that can be seen in the pic. It has two prussik loops on it and is quick to set up when left in situ.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I use a rectangle on the diagonal, it gives me asymmetrical cover, minimal on the 'off' sides, but perfect for this time of year.

A big tarp in a traditional setup gives you more leeway in pitch site and dealing with inclimate weather

I like to have a view from my hammock so I gravitate towards smaller tarps.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Diagonal with me- with a 3x3 tarp. Apart from the better coverage as described above, the other added advantage is that you only have 4 attachment points on the tarp rather than 6 with a trad setup. Aside from the time saving when setting up, it also means its easier to find a coveniant tree to lash the 'centre' points of the tarp out to rather than the ground, and easy to shove a stick up under the single guy on one side to raise your living space during the day. All said and done the advantages are rather minor, but as a personal preference, they are worth it to me.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Well, I went for the diag option at the weekend, and liked it a lot. Felt more roomy somehow. I also struck lucky in my local 99p store, they were doing 1M bungees with 2 little crabs attached, so I bought 4, and was able to apply Al's system. Damn it made it quick and simple to rig up the tarp.

So, that part of the weekend was a success at least...

Changed to whoopies at the weekend, as well as three huggers from UKHammocks. Onside worked a treat, but one of the tree huggers snapped in the night, resulting on me hitting the deck with a bump. I got up to see what had happened, only to find that somehow the whoolie had had also pulled through itself and was no long a whoopie sling. Thankfully I took my DD tapes with me as well so could rig up again ok. In all I'm really dissapointed and will be contacting UKHammocks. It has made me somewhat nervous of using the treehuggers they sell though. I'm guessing the whoopie sling can be repaird, but it's annoying.

I have since put a fig 8 in the end of the other whoopie so that that one can't pull through any more.

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Just called UKHammocks, and they couldn't be more helpful and apologetic. A new whoopie sling and a set of 1.5" straps are being send in the post. HE is baffled by the break, and wants to have a look as it really shouldn't have snapped so I have agreed to send it off to him.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE