Tarp and hammock advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Recently worked out the my dpm basha isn't long enough to properly cover my hammock setup.

Im using the dd jungle new setup with the mossie ontop and the waterproof layer underneath.

I think i need tarp to be 3x3 minimum really but not sure. Seen the dd 3x3 and was told about the tw tarp but this is no longer on the website. Looking around £40 max.

In the hammock it was thermarest then snugpak 6, liner, thermals and softie trousers but got a bit chilly, cant afford an under blanket really yet so thinking maybe bivi bag around the lot and a reflective mat or underquilt made from jungle bag?

Also have the czech sleep system but not tried yet in hammock. Plus its the size of all my sleeping kit and warm clothes combined!

qytudy8e.jpg

zyqytuvy.jpg

Any advice/thoughts would be welcome!

Cheers,

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Note the picture at the top is with a bigger tarp i borrowed off a member on here but its one of only two custom made jobbies so had to give it back!

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
a DD 3 x 3 is good enough for most weather, but the 4 x 4 will give a lot better foul weather protection. An under quilt is the best insulator, failing that it sounds like you have the next best thing. If you throw a fleece blanket over the top of your bug net, it will help to retain heat in the hammock.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I have the same hammock, tested the Czech system the other week with a softie 9, temps got down below 0 but I was kicking extra clothing off and unzipping the system within an hour, great bit of kit, bulky but ok, as for tarp, I use a 3x3 but the extra wouldn't go amiss.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The DD 3x3 is fine, it can be a tad short for sideways rain but apart from that it's good for 99% of the time. The TW tarp looked really good when it was on the site, maybe send them an email and see when they're getting more stock?

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
In the hammock it was thermarest then snugpak 6, liner, thermals and softie trousers but got a bit chilly, cant afford an under blanket really yet so thinking maybe bivi bag around the lot and a reflective mat or underquilt made from jungle bag?

As a quick-fix it could be that the thermorest is a bit narrow for the hammock and you need some extra width, something like a windscreen sun reflector often works and many are z folded or get a cheap med weight CCF full length mat, cut it in half and gaffer tape two sections next to each other so it is like a hinge (might need to trim the width a little) and you should have a wide torso length mat that can go under your thermorest and keep sides of your body insulated.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have an Opinion on Tarps and Tarp sizes, myself I don’t like diamond tarps.. ok in the summer but in the winter give very little protection to things on the ground, they cannot be lowered to the ground to stop the airflow under them, if the rain is falling at an angle /getting blown, then anything on the ground will get wet...this leads me to say square or rectangle,

Size wise I have 3x3, 4x4, 4.5 x 3, and 4ish x 2ish (poncho Tarp)..

The 3x3 in my opinion is short for hammocking in the winter/rain unless you use it as a diamond.. But for me the reasons above count it out,

I find the 4.5 x 3 a bit too long you have to pick your trees well.. also if you take the tarp to ground the 3 meter lives you a low ridge, myself I find this a pain as I have to stoop under it...this I also find with the 3x3,

I have used the 4 x 4 quite a lot find it has plenty of room you can comfortably burrito the ends in to form doors and have loads of room, the ridge is also at a nice height for me and does not restrict movement under the Tarp.. the amount of room also give you loads of admin space it weather is a bit fowl, if you have not got a communal shelter....The only thing I would say is the 4x4 can be a bit of a sail in V high winds... and can billow in.. I have not found this yet, but some have.

The smaller poncho type for me is just for warm sunny times...oh and of course Boonie weekends..lol

I like the DD's, and have had no problems with them..they have external ridge line loops..and the tarp hangs under them, with a ridge line that runs under the tarp, but that could lead to rain running down the ridge line, under the tarp and dripping inside the tarp on to whatever’s under it... if your hammocking , in to your sleeping kit...., yes you have hanging possibility’s of things , but just add an extra internal ridge line,

So to me the 4 x4 is the best size for my needs...hope my thoughts on Tarps help,

On the getting cold in the hammock I find the only real way to keep the cold out is to have a good fitting underquilt,

I have tried the blanket over the top but found this has little effect unless the ends of the blanket are shut.. other wise any heat retained will just flow out the open ends, One of the guys I know that always uses this method that used to come to the Suffolk Group always gets up looking very cold, and wrapped up well ...

You could try the Sleep Mat in the hammock I have done this and found it does make a difference, saying that a rectangular mat does not fit well in the hammock.

I have used a wool blanket doubled over and slid in the double lining on my DD hammocks this have acted as an under quilt but not as well.

Hope this may help.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I too have the 4x4, yes its nearly twice the size of the 3x3 but the extra space can be handy in poor weather, but for the summer its not really needed.

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Hmm decisions decisions. The idea of a 4x4 in bad weather appeals, we do live in Britain, rain, sleet and wind can happen at the drop of a hat i guess, but do i really NEED it. Equally dont want to get 3x3 and think should've gone bigger. Hmm.

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
Waiting for the dd group buy to start now and i'll probably get a 3x3 for now with a view to getting an underquilt in the autumn (birthday time) if i can justify it. Thanks for the tips and advice.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I made my own tarp started at something like 2.4m x 3.2m but I found that a bit too small for the hammock - fine for ground dwelling. But just to pluck some numbers out of the air:- my hammock is 2.4m long that gives me an 80 cm overhang of my tarp = 40 cm each end, so about the length of a [long :)] ruler = not really enough if there is wind and rain [your going outside, there is bound to be wind and rain] so I added some more material to the tarp to about 4.2m length this should give plenty of protection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE