Tanning Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
On browsing the back pages of the DIY forum, I saw a thread where someone had bought some rhubarb tanned leather and wondered if anyone here knows the technique for doing this please?
I have the sheepskins (or one red deerhide in the freezer) and lots of rhubarb!
Would love to give it a go.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Tricia

On browsing the back pages of the DIY forum, I saw a thread where someone had bought some rhubarb tanned leather and wondered if anyone here knows the technique for doing this please?
I have the sheepskins (or one red deerhide in the freezer) and lots of rhubarb!
Would love to give it a go.
I wouldn't be at all suprised that Rhubarb (including the roots) has tannins that can be used to tan a hide :D

Kind regards
Mick

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The tannins in the rhubarb help break up the mucoid bonds, which allows the tanning mixture to penetrate deeply and evenly. It just helps speed the process up a bit. You still need a tanning mixture though. For sheepskin or deerskin, the ideal is the animal's brains (google "braintanning") or eggs and pure soap as a less reflux gagging alternative.

Eric

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
Thanks Eric and Mick, did a bit of googling and apparently it`s the rhubarb root that does the trick, so might give it a go. Not too worried over using brains but they are so hard to get here...I have to purchase my hides from a slaughterhouse and need a license to do so, they don`t trade in the brains though, so will have to stick to eggs :)
Was bad enough just de-wooling the two sheepskins I intend to buckskin, the skink was awful and even after washing still permeated the skins, so have them now sitting in a de odourising solution combined with a pickle and hope that does the trick.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Eric

The tannins in the rhubarb help break up the mucoid bonds, which allows the tanning mixture to penetrate deeply and evenly. It just helps speed the process up a bit. You still need a tanning mixture though. For sheepskin or deerskin, the ideal is the animal's brains (google "braintanning") or eggs and pure soap as a less reflux gagging alternative.

Eric
You can tan a hide using tannins alone.

Kind regards
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE