Tanning a deer hide

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ive got me a deer hide (and venison!) The deer hide was frozen , thawed and salted yesterday.
Ive been reading how to tan it on the net but each site gives different instructions. I get that I generally now need to scrape and stretch the hide, and immerse it in a concoction (again many recipes on the net) but how long does each process take. What happens if I just scrape, stretch and resalt it, then leave it to dry out? Will that be rawhide, and if so, can I then continue the tanning process at a later date? That would be most convenient at the moment (I want to keep the hair on if possible)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yes, scrape,salt and stretch and will not rot, or you could just keep it in the freezer till ready.
Funny my gf wasn't to struck on this when she found it so I did tan it!
Probably the easiest would be the 'Toddy' way but involves putting the hide in your washing machine....don't know how you feel about this?!
I did the salt allum tanning......got to say alot of work involved so a few days spare to do other jobs and do a bit of tanning in order.
Dave

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
cheers dave. It wont fit in my freezer so Ill have to work quick. Ive never heard of putting in the washing machine? is that to clean it or putting it in with the tanning chemicals.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
"It's possible to diy a deerskin relatively easily using the washing machine.

1) Scrape off the visceral tissues from the flesh side of the skin.

2) wash using biological washing liquid on cold in the washing machine.

3) Wash again, on cold, with no soap but a very healthy dose of fabric conditioner.

4) Pull out skin and stretch over a frame and put it somewhere cool but airy to begin drying......a cloudly breezy day is ideal.

5) As it dries begin to rub in masses of hand cream on the flesh side. The more you rub, and the more you rub in, the better the skin will be.

6) Ta ra, one diy modern equivalent of a braintanned skin

The first one I did like this, nearly ten years ago now, is still sound and has kept it's pelt.

copied from modern Inuit, whose people have to be among some of the most capable hunters mankind has ever produced.
it works on rabbit too"
This was taken from Toddy hopefully she wont mind me copying it!:rolleyes:
Dave

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
cheers for that. It wont stink the washing machine up will it? Im at my parents I dont feel like lugging it back to my flat its bigger than me!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Could you put the hide in a (big) container with the bio washing up liquid etc. as in post#5 and trample it to work it? like fulling cloth?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Cant see why not the trample wouldn't work...think you may get a bit bored mind!
I would (dont quote me) put it in the washing machine while they are out and give it a good clean and empty hot wash after!
D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thats the question, would you trample for the same time as a machine cyle or double it or what? I could see stamping away in a plastic garden trug for an hour would be a while...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE