Taking Steps

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm posting this one for Tombear really (and other lovers of old tools)

Was having a maintenance day today and teak oiling stuff that gets left outside (benches, tables, chairs etc.)

I also do our older wooden ladders since BB bought them all and loves to grow sweet peas up them in the Summer (they are functional the rest of the year). I thought you might enjoy a look at our steps - not a patch on your file collection - but fun

Wooden Steps by British Red, on Flickr

I love the wear and uneven nature of the treads - like an accelerated view of Castle staircases

Steps Tread by British Red, on Flickr

The back has a lot of old plates and screws holding it together - but that's okay

Steps back by British Red, on Flickr

Probably not worth the few quid we gave for them - but I like using them - its fun feeling the foot shaped wear in the treads :cool:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
That is a thing of beauty and full of character. All we have is a soulless piece of aluminium crud. Cheers for sharing.

I'm stealing myself to stock take the chisels and gouges next, see whats missing so I don't get any more repeats. Mind I should finish the half restored ones, a bunch of I Sorby goose necked incanal gouges. It's taken 7 years so far, oops...

atb

tom

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I know what you mean. I have my fathers old wooden steps, they are spattered with paint that I might one day sand away, however amongst the spatters I can see the blue that he painted the drawers of an old unit for my first bedroom of my own (I was four). :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you find any files you don't need, I'll dicker with you for them - that should free up funds for the "missing links" :)

Mind you I would convince myself they wear out and should not be parted with in your place!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have an old set out in the shed, made of oak, cast iron hinges dated 18**, if I remember I will post pics tomorrow

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My mum got a wooden ladder I was keeping in the shed to be burnt later. Looking at your post I am going to restore it instead. The wood it sound, the rope and hinge need replacing to make it safe.

Sounds sensible - a quids worth of rope and maybe four for hinges - say a fiver all up. Cheaper and, somehow more satisfying than aluminium.

I really want to find a set of the old fruit pickers ladders one day :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
They are really lovely, the wear on the treads could tell a tale or two and the accumulative hours of help they have seen is unimaginable.

My neighbour came round and asked if i had a step ladder? I said yeah, my real ladder left when i was a child!

Coat time!

Ivan...

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Wow what a lovely old bit of kit, I alwyas love tools that have a history behind them or a bit of character.. Infinitely better than the mass-produced soul-less pieces of kit brought out today imo..

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I built my bed about five feet in the air and built a wardrobe-cum-store underneath, and every evening I climb an old steps like yours to get into it. They're Elm, and I spent a lot of time cleaning them and oiling them up, and the feel of them on my bare feet every night as I climb up to my rest is always one of the highlights of the day - I just can't help but think of all those countless feet that wore them down to those wonderful curves!

Now I've written that I can't wait to have a wee tot and "up the wooden hill!"

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's a great story mac, thank you :)

I love this forum - when I post moments of insanity (like loving an old set of steps), there are always people who say "me too" :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE