Taking or sending a knife to Northern Ireland

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
I live in England and I'm of to Northern Ireland at the weekend via Flybe to checkout the Giant's Causeway and visit some Game of Thrones filming spots.
It's going to invlove a good bit of hiking in the Irish glens and I would love one of my knives with me.
Does anyone know the score with taking them on a plane?
I'll only have hand hand luggage as Flybe charge a million pound for every gram placed in the hold and I can fit all I need and more in a carry on bag.
I've also looked on Flybe's FAQs with no joy and it would be easier to swim the Irish sea with a knife between my teeth than to try and ring them and actually speak to someone who could give me an answer.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Odds on you won't get through security let alone onto a plane with a knife in your hand luggage regardless of any airline you use.

Is there an address you can post the knife to so you can pick it up once you get there?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Don't even think of trying to bring a knife onto any aircraft - utter folly - you'll lose the knife and maybe your holiday as well, and surely a court appearance. Send it " post restante " to yourself and then post it home at the end of your trip.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That sounds good. Love that programme. Take some photos will you, and if you go north o' the wall, watch out for the whitewalkers.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Of course you should be able to sneak something through in hand luggage, what could possibly go wrong?

aiSRG2q.jpg

No, seriously, don't!

Druss

Forager
Jul 28, 2013
Leeds
I had nail clippers taken off me the last flight i had i would not risk even trying this. The posting option is your best bet if you don't want to pay to put it in the hold.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Flying anywhere (pretty much worldwide) means it's fine in checked baggage but prohibited in carry-on.

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
Thanks for all that guys, kinda what i'd assumed. I think I might just go knifeless, I know it sounds like crazy talk but I reckon I can manage a couple of days. I might look at buying one over there then posting it home, i'm only there the weekend so...
I'll deffo post some pics Dave, I would say I probably originate from north of the wall anyway being a sun hating, ginger-bearded, forest dweller so I should be OK.
I'm flying in to Belfast City and staying just outside of Ballycastle Robbi.
Thanks again fellas.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've moved this into edged tools and changed the title slightly Tom, it always useful for somebody doing a search at a later date.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE