Taking knives abroad - help.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Okay, when I go to Austria in April, I want to know if I can take a knife with me or not. I'm not 100% sure on what the rules are. If I put it in my rucksack, will it get opened and taken out when they put it through the xray machine? And.... will I be called into a room, strip searched, and get sexually violated by security? ;)

Otherwise, ill have to buy one in Innsbruck and then stash it for the next time I ever go back to Austria. Or get Salad to post it home to me. :D

Broomstickize

Forager
Jul 28, 2011
Suffolk, UK
I've been through a bunch of borders (including middle east and US) with a cracking great Parang in my check-in.

As long as you don't wave it about in the airport or put it in hand-luggage you should be fine.

I don't know about any regulations (or lack of) in Austria but I assume that you'll have a valid reason for the authorities at this end for carrying it.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Okay thats great. I initially thought this, I should be okay then. No rubber glove and KY Jelly for me this time round then.

Thats a shame WOOOO! :p

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
Problems are most likely oon your to the UK airport. Austria is quite flexible with sharps, much more than Germany for example.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
never any problems in Austria or germany , no one here blinks an eye even if you have it on yer belt (obviously not on yer belt on the plane ). Just stick it in your check in luggage and no problem

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
But for Germany there's a new law established, but it only conerns, if you like big ones. No fixed blade over 12cm, no one hand folders, otherwise you need a legal reason and no one knows what that might be (having one in the car to cut yourself loose wasn't a reason according to court).

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Wikipedia have an entry for Austria on their Knife legislation page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knife_legislation#Hungary

I was once stopped by Turkish police at the main entrance to Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, I was forced to unpack my checked luggage right there on the tarmac, my sharps were taken and I was given a receipt and told that they would be waiting for me in Amsterdam. They were. :)

Austria should prove less problematic I think.

Last edited:

Gordo-uk

Dec 14, 2011
S.London
UK airports are strict I had a Spderco Kiwi in hand luggage which they removed and took it away to measure. I think its a 7.5 cm rule. After measuring they gave it back to me.
How about mailing it to a friend there or a hotel?

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Any sharps in hand luggage and you're taking a risk on losing them. Stick it in your hold luggage. I've flown with knives and kukris (and ice axes!) in my hold luggage lots of times and never had any bother

Rat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE