Takedown Arrow question?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I'm hoping some of the archers can help me here, Hi DWARDO;);) I want to make a 3 piece takedown arrow for my slingshot, so can anyone tell me what's the thread size on a 11/32 insert?
Great Clip on YouTube by Backyard Bowyer.

Perhaps this thread should be in the DIY section, if so, any Mod, feel free to move it.
Cheers..

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sorry bud not a clue.
I would guess though it would play havoc with spine problems but would that matter on a cattie?

Whilst i have you can you tell me where you bought that broad head you gave me?

Cheers :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Dwardo the spine shouldn’t really be a problem, the arrow is getting shot through a ring in the centre of the slingshot unlike in a bow where the arrow has to bend round the bow. Weight might be a problem as all my carbon shafts are quite heavy but I suppose that’s just trial and error.
What I could try next perhaps is just take one of the inserts to the local ironmongers and try some bolts for the right fit.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i've come across take down arrows (both screw and shock corded) in the past. All have been awful and a little dangerous in my opinion. Granted this was in an archery contxt and not sling shots, but I would prefer to go for a proper arrow rather than pratting about with collapsable shafts. Maybe look at short shafts such as a crossbow bolt if length is the issue?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
i've come across take down arrows (both screw and shock corded) in the past. All have been awful and a little dangerous in my opinion.

My draw length and technique (gap shooter with a big cant on the bow) on the slingshot is very similar to my archery technique and with the same draw length as on the bow as the slingshot 27-28 inch so crossbow bolts would be way to short, The draw weight in the slingshot is only 19 lbs and as I said spine stiffness is not going to be a problem,"centre shot" but I mostly have heavy carbon shafts which will probably be way to heavy for the slingshot so I am looking out for some of my old compound aluminium arrows.

As for (awful and a little dangerous)
You are certainly right enough there, I wouldn’t dream of shooting a 3 piece arrow off the shelf of my 45 lbs Border recurve.

Last edited:

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Dave Canterbury's 'Pathfinder' company sells the inserts to create a take down arrow. They won't sell the catapults or arrows to the UK but they will sell the screw inserts to make your own...I know...I have enquired directly.

But...the postage will cost you a fortune!!!

kawasemi

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Or try being creative with some field points (a hacksaw), some inserts and some epoxy.

The field points I use could be cut behind the point and epoxy'd in reverse into the inserts and then screwed straight into the other?.......... I would reckon that could be done pretty easy?

or stick with a bag of bollies!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
sells the inserts!!! postage!!!

Hi Kawasemi
I thought I would just use standard screw in arrow inserts?
I already have all the bits lying around, apart from the two threaded bolt's to join the three shaft sections.
Five standards 11/32 Inserts, four or 2x2 back to back to join the three shaft sections and one for the pile.
And just rub a wee bit beeswax on the bolt thread’s to keep the shaft sections tight and stop any buzzing sounds.

Plastic knock, fletch Shaft and insert ..threaded bolt.. insert Shaft insert ..threaded bolt.. insert Shaft insert Pile

I think standard inserts should work just fine; they can certainly take a hammering up front at the business end on problem, so I can’t see any problems with them joining the shaft sections together.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
May I point out that an arrow shot through a ring doesn't "know" it is not being shot from a bow thus it bends in exactly the same way from bow or cattie. If could bend enough to get round a bow or at least clear its fletchings then it will bump the ring surely? It would still probably be illegal to hunt with a cattie and arrow but I am sure those who read legislation "properly" will give the correct answer.

And takedown arrows are generally not nice.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
May I point out that an arrow shot through a ring doesn't "know" it is not being shot from a bow thus it bends in exactly the same way from bow or cattie.
Hi there Boatman
You may, but the thing about an arrow when being shot from a bow is it has to bend round the bow,the term archer's paradox comes from and refers to the phenomenon of an arrow not traveling in the direction it is pointed when drawn causing the arrow to start bending and oscillating in flight, not an issue for example in crossbows or center shot slingshots.
Apparently as long as I use feather's that will just collapse as they go through the ring a bit like when the feathers collapse as they bump into and travel over the hand or shelf on the bow "or even worse in a Cock up" and not plastic vanes there appears to be no problem there as far as I have seen, “”on YouTube that is”” but I think I will give it a go "anyway".

It would still probably be illegal to hunt with a cattie and arrow but I am sure those who read legislation "properly" will give the correct answer.
It is illegal to hunt in the UK with the bow and arrow and very probably with a slingshot and arrow to, but that wasn’t the "question". It sounds like to me you think anyone with a bow ( or arrow ) must want to be a hunter?
If you want to hijack the thread go ahead, but don’t try to make suggestions or put words in my mouth.

Next week: flaming arrows, Incendiary device or just another pretty firework?

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Not trying to hijack your thread, I am an archer and do not think that anyone shooting an arrow with a catapult must be a hunter. However because of a vagary of the law clean killing with a catapult is not illegal and there are a lot of catapult hunters around. Seemed worth mentioning the potential problem of using an arrow and catapult for anything but target shooting.

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I believe the threads on a common arrow insert are 8/32 machine threads. I've known people who made two piece take down arrows for hunting bows and they say there isn't much if any effect on spine. There might be an adverse evvect with a three piece arrow though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE