Take-down axe restored

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi, seems this weekend's nice weather has brought out the creative side in some of us, in particular the axe restoration part. Big Stu 12 has refurbed his Hultafors Axe here. So not to be left out I had a play this afternoon too.

I was PM'ed the other day by Wildgoose here at BCUK inquiring about the take-down tomahawks I restore and sell on. So after some emails back and forth with some pictures he decided on one of the axes rather than the tomahawk. Mountainm and HillBill are already owners on this type of axe from previous sales, I have one too.

It has to be said this wasn't as a rusted ruin as I've seen some of the axe heads but it was still satisfying to finish it to see it back to it's full glory once again.

The head weighs in at 600g and the new Hickory handle is a little over 19½inches long.

Wildgoose01_zps10fbfddf.jpg

Here it is with my own axe. Those of you who made the Butanese bows in Wayne's class at The Moot last year will have seen this in action splitting and shaping bamboo like it was cheese.

Wildgoose02_zps9078c70f.jpg

Based on the taper I would suggest it's more of a carver than a green wood splitter, but it'll do the job OK I guess.

Wildgoose03_zpsafdff875.jpg

Here's my hand for scale, and I don't have big hands either

Wildgoose04_zpsda03f38f.jpg

The handle is a sort of tear drop shape in section and has been coated with 2 coats of linseed oil and finished with rubbing over with a dirty rag from the black metal polish to age it a bit.

Wildgoose05_zpsa9e6c659.jpg

I did consider grinding out the dink along the top edge, but the "battle damage" looked kinda cool, so I left it alone.
It's shaving sharp now as the bald spot on my left arm testifies. See caption... need I say more? :lmao:

Wildgoose06_zps9217d560.jpg

Naturally the head comes off with a knock on the butt end for use in the hand for close quarter work.

Wildgoose07_zps23d3122b.jpg

Rather nice axe all in all. Hope you like what you see Wildgoose. It's been a pleasure bringing this one back from the brink of the recycling dump.

Wildgoose08_zps21b2b53e.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
cracking job mate! great to see things restored well and kept in use :)

got any more heads in need of that biker magic??

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Wow. Wasn't expecting it to be that good!

Been looking for a decent axe for a while now, originally was after a hawk but that sort of blade really appeals to me, the sort of tool that would be carried on the belt and used to chop kindling, sharpen posts, butcher meat and defend the realm!
I really like older kit and tools, the quality is better as most if the process is by hand, better than buying a machined piece of steel.
Can't wait to receive it.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Now I like that Biker, nice little job there, not really in to Hawks, but for some reason, like that one.... it more then likely the shape, and its got a nice edge :). I agree in some ways battle scars do add character, things like a mushroomed poll get to me tho...

May have to look for a Hawk that shape to refurb.. if I get too many I'll have to sell some.. :).

I've a couple more Kent Pattern's on the go here, just run out of Helve's and wedges....

Biker

Thanks for the replies folks. I loved doing this one. It's been so long since I did one, I forgot how much job satisfaction there is at the end of it.

cracking job mate! great to see things restored well and kept in use :)

got any more heads in need of that biker magic??

Yes indeedy. See pic. The one marked 5 is the one above, but I have its twin brother sitting in a bucket of water as I type this. PM me if you're interested, though Pignut has dibs on number 1.

Axes01_zps6751b507.jpg

Wow. Wasn't expecting it to be that good!

Been looking for a decent axe for a while now, originally was after a hawk but that sort of blade really appeals to me, the sort of tool that would be carried on the belt and used to chop kindling, sharpen posts, butcher meat and defend the realm!
I really like older kit and tools, the quality is better as most if the process is by hand, better than buying a machined piece of steel.
Can't wait to receive it.

Can't get much better feedback than that. Glad you like it Andy. Like I said in the PM's I'll get the postage from France sorted out this coming week if I can.

You won't be disappointed. Mines a cracker. Wouldn't trade it for two gb's

Thanks Mike, endorsements like that are great to read.

Now I like that Biker, nice little job there, not really in to Hawks, but for some reason, like that one.... it more then likely the shape, and its got a nice edge :). I agree in some ways battle scars do add character, things like a mushroomed poll get to me tho...

May have to look for a Hawk that shape to refurb.. if I get too many I'll have to sell some.. :).

I've a couple more Kent Pattern's on the go here, just run out of Helve's and wedges....

Know what you mean Stu. seeing a mushroomed poll chaps me off something chronic. Glad you liked it anyway.

Nice one Biker, i am a bit of a GB and Fiskars boy myself, but thats mighty purdy!!

Ivan...

Thanks Ivan. She's a beauty indeed, you should see this axe across the table under candlelight in a low cut dress and Barry White playing on the stereo .... ooooh err did I really type that out loud? :lmao:

Again thanks for the feedback folks.

Me

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
No, 5 looks a nice one...... :), will make a nice pair when reunited with its brother when its finished his wash

May well have to have a look out for a Hawk like that....

Keep it up mate, I'll look out for more of your work...

Biker

crackin stuff Aaron you do love your axes!

Seems rude not to :lmao: ..... I also have three drawknives and four billhooks and a yooooge Zombie redeadener on my "to restore" list as well.

Seriously though, I do feel as though I'm providing a service by supplying something not normally seen in the UK Bushcrafting scene. Seems a shame to walk by those old axes and not give them another bite of the cherry at working for a living.

Very nice axes!

Thanks Niels. They are indeed.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
....Seems a shame to walk by those old axes and not give them another bite of the cherry at working for a living.
Completely with you on that one :) I kinda regret getting the trailhawk because it hasn't been handled, used, abused, dinked and polished by loving and gnarled hands over the years... I use it as much as I use my billhook but that has deeeeep soul to it and the patterning is its lifestory :)

Tis great that you're doing these heads and even better that you're loving and getting great satisfaction from it!
:You_Rock_

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
How had I missed this thread, 'tis a conspiracy methinks. Really nice work there Aaron, love old agricultural implements and tools. Some of them were so specific, sometimes rough in appearance but usually well and robustly made. There's also that patina of old metal, even when polished and restored (when done well like you have) that can't really to replicated. A bit like some of the old school military blokes, when you look at their shoes, an old brown leather brogue that's been polished with polish properly every night. That depth. You also get that sense of history when you use it, of who's had it before.
Great job in bringing these old tools back to use, you could maybe do a feature on the other tools you own that you've done. You know I love a good billhook.
Cheers,
Colin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE