Take-down axe restored

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Really nice work there Aaron! where do you get all these little marvels from??

Dave

Thanks Dave, and Sally and Colin and Colin too. Old tools really have some magic about them. like Sally said above, it's as if the something has been imparted into the metal by the owners over the years .... or maybe I'm just being a silly romantic to think that.

Where do I get these gems? Endless rooting through boxes of rust at French bootfairs and not saying a word even to the seller once I find that needle in the haystack. I just hold it up and look questioningly at the seller. He gives me his asking price THEN I speak. If they hear my accent before a price is agreed the price often doubles based on them thinking me being some rich "Rosbif" on holiday. It's sometimes funny watching the seller gnash their teeth.

Me, clever.

The Goldenberg axe heads are the most sought after and if the seller knows it the price shows. I've seen rusty Goldenbergs on worm eaten shafts with a €25 price tag, they sell too. So the hunt for that unknown Goldenberg buried in the dross makes the capture soooo much sweeter.

Sometimes the prices for tools are the same as rusty ones in the UK but on average they can be slightly higher depending on the type of bootfair. Some are antique fairs so you can easily add 50-75% on the price tags. I put about 2-3 hours work on each of those tools getting them back up to scratch, but it is a labour of love.

Thanks for the comments folks. Pleased I'm preaching to the choir about old tools and their patina. Give yourself a pat on the back for being such top people.

Me

PS Samon you have a PM, mate.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
like Sally said above, it's as if the something has been imparted into the metal by the owners over the years .... or maybe I'm just being a silly romantic to think that.

Could not agree more, new is good, but old has soul. I like your taste in tools:)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Axe arrived today, I am seriously impressed.

I'll do a proper write up once I've had it out but first impressions are good, got the feeling of a tool that wants to work.
I had planned to help a mate move house tomorrow..... Might have to attack the woodpile instead...

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Axe arrived today, I am seriously impressed.

I'll do a proper write up once I've had it out but first impressions are good, got the feeling of a tool that wants to work.
I had planned to help a mate move house tomorrow..... Might have to attack the woodpile instead...

Thanks for letting me know it got there safely. Always a semi-stressful time trusting two post offices to get it to you. Looking forward to seeing that review as well. Have fun with it, don't be tempted to shave with it even though you could. :lmao:

Just for your info folks, I had the steel in these Talabot axe heads tested and on the Rockwell scale my own one came in at HRC50. Smack dab in the middle of the range for a good axe (See here)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE