Take a View, Landscape Photographer of the Year 2014

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Landscape-Photographer-of-the-Year-2014--Classic-View.jpg

I was a little worried that I might not get anything into the Landscape Photographer of the Year Awards this year.

Our Iceland trip had produced lots of good results but were not eligible for ”Take a View” because they were outside the UK.

With growing work commitments on top of that, I thought my entry looked a little bit thin this time around as a result.

So, I’m very pleased to say that this shot, taken at Midnight on 27th August 2013, made the shortlist, was Commended and will make it into this years book and exhibition.

Sadly, there are not many places in Britain that the Milky Way can still be clearly seen. I had to travel almost to the tip of the Llyn Peninsula just to find a spot where the stars could shine through the light pollution that has stolen the dark night sky from most of us.

I had spotted this old watch post earlier in the day and it put me in mind of a great chimney pot, so I knew exactly how I wanted to use it for the picture. An early evening sea mist almost defeated my plans but eventually it cleared just long enough for the shot I wanted.

A half Moon rose to my left giving a little illumination to the stonework and also adding some blue to the midnight sky. The warm glow on the horizon spilled up from Aberdaron on the coast. Even here the sky is indelibly stained with our wasted illumination.

This quiet evening put me in mind of my Father, who passed away twenty four years before this picture was taken.

He was a photographer as well, keen enough to experiment with developing his own images when he was younger.

When I first started to become interested in photography as a teenager, he nurtured that seed by converting a small cupboard under the stairs into a darkroom for me.

Without that encouragement I suspect my life might have been very different.

Dedicated to the Loving Memory of​
John Derrick Lindsay Waidson​
2nd July 1926 - 27th August 1989

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was worth being up at midnight to capture though :D Beautiful photo, it really is. Could tell stories that one.

Congratulations on the result, and sympathies too. I still miss my Dad.

best wishes,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely picture and sentiment to go with it.

Also congratulations on your placement in the competition. I've only seen a small section of your work on here over the years but what I have seen is not only technically brilliant, but the images speak to me. I find some folks images very well done, but too sterile in nature.

Congratulations again and cheers for posting,
GB.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Many congratulations............I always get a lot from the images you produce and I look forward to many more :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its a great photo, but its slightly befuddling to me, as whenever Ive been in an area to have a clear view of the milky way, its always been spread horizontally across the sky, and not vertically like that one.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Its a great photo, but its slightly befuddling to me, as whenever Ive been in an area to have a clear view of the milky way, its always been spread horizontally across the sky, and not vertically like that one.

It turns through in our sky as we rotate beneath it.

Llanddwyn-Milky-Way-R14-II.jpg

This was how it looked from Anglesey in April 2013

That's why I knew it was an August shot and I needed better darkness.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at the pictures how much of what's actually there that you could see with the naked eye Gary?

Is it a true interpretation of the human eye or has the camera picked up more than you could see?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE