Take a View - Landscape Photographer of the Year 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Klenchblaize, nice to see you back.

National_Theatre.jpg

I forgot to say I got down to the exhibition preview at the National Theatre in London last week.

If anyone is nearby it's well worth a look, they've printed them at a good size and there's some stunning work on show.

Take_a_View.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice one Gary, I like the touch of printing your winning photo on your name badge., that's a nice memento for you.

Will they be giving you the display picture once the exhibition has finished?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Our lass was down there on Thursday with 27 of her A level photography students. She mentioned that she`d seen some really good landscape images at the National, I should have realised they`d be yours Gary :notworthy

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Is it just me, or can you almost heard the drums in the background?

Or do you expect the Viking Horde to appear though the trees, any second?

Brillant art!

Art because people feel different things about it, which is what makes all the difference. Strange that everyone else thinks calm, I want to check my powder, and free my sword.

Glad I did not have to make the decision of who won what, but think your castle shot would have won for me.

B

bosknurft

Wonderful photograph. It reminds me of Gustav Klimt's 1902 painting Birkenwald (Birch forest, never mind the caption), although I think that, in terms of composition and colours, you have him beat here.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Wow, well done!
That's a tough comp to get placed in, let alone actually get in the top three. Seriously, congratulations :D

Who was hosting it this year?

Edit: Found it :) Should've read the whole topic before barging in.

The overall winner is also not to my taste, I agree, what's landscape about that pic apart from the horizontal format and a bit of sea in the background?
It probably won 'cause the tog used two different compositional rules and the opposing colours help too.

If the rules were for minimal processing, then that photograph should have been banned, there is definitely at least an hours worth 'o photoshop on that piece believe me, I can spot PS a mile away, even if it's minimal and I can tell you what was done: it looks like a natural HDR (as opposed to the uber fake HDR's that are over processed) which woudl require three or more images blended into one to capture the detail in the sky, the highlights and detail in the shadow area of the dog, then levels, curves, a selective colour (to make the blue and the orangey yellow really stand out and visually fight with one another) an overall hue/sat layer tweaked with the individual colours, possibly with the master sat set to -10 or more so it stopped short of becoming too colourful (a sure fire way to know that it is photoshopped) That green in the distance is definitely been increased. I would also venture to say that the sea has been burnt in a bit as well. The overall thing for me is the obvious lack of the ND grad which you can normally see on ND grad filtered images which leads me to think that HDR was employed.

Mind you, looking through the rest of 'em most have had the old photoshop magic applied. Shame really. I agree, that a levels & curves or exposure and contrast + sharpening should be allowed but not masking and individual colour saturation increase and hue. HDR is completely manipulating the image, filters on the lens could've been used instead, I mean how much is 1ND Grad filter nowadays?

... Sorry for the rant... Getting off the soapbox now.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Good stuff mate, that's a great photograph, Show's me what's possible in the fog :D

I've just checked the exif. data for that shot and just as I said in the other thread, it's +1 stop exposure compensation for fog or mist.

That's normally my starting point and then I check the histogram to make sure it's not blowing out anywhere, adjusting if needed, but this one was bang on the nose.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> HDR is completely manipulating the image, filters on the lens could've been used instead, I mean how much is 1ND Grad filter nowadays?

<Snip

HDR was within the rules this year, which was very evident from the exhibition.

I use HDR occasionally to compress tones that just aren't possible any other way, but I usually go for a natural looking effect when I'm mapping it.

It looks like that wasn't the fashion this year so I might try a few different type shots next time.

I don't actually use ND grads because I prefer to handle things in the computer which gives greater control and allows for non straight blends.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wonderful photograph. It reminds me of Gustav Klimt's 1902 painting Birkenwald (Birch forest, never mind the caption), although I think that, in terms of composition and colours, you have him beat here.

I see what you mean, I was at the Klimt exhibition in Liverpool a while ago and I hadn't made that connection.

I think another inspiration, although very different, is Ansel Adams' "Aspens"

adams_aspens.jpg

I saw this print this year in the exhibition that toured with some of the prints Adams wanted to be remembered for. They were some of the last ones printed by the master himself. Stunning. :notworthy

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I do like his aspens, fantastic lighting and well spotted.
Flame me for this, but most of AA's stuff, I don't like...

Oooh sacrilege I hear you cry!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's not everyone's taste but I gained a lot of inspiration from him when I started out.

His exposure / developing methods known as the Zone System certainly helped me get to grips with wet processing, so I suppose I have a soft spot for the chap.

The exhibition was very impressive though.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
It's not everyone's taste but I gained a lot of inspiration from him when I started out.

His exposure / developing methods known as the Zone System certainly helped me get to grips with wet processing, so I suppose I have a soft spot for the chap.

The exhibition was very impressive though.

Oh zone theory - that takes me back!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE