Swmbo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
what does SWMBO stand for?

I have seen it in many posts and can't figure it out. I know it means girlfriend/wife but what is it an abreviation of?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I must admit, I had not idea what it stood for but I could always tell by the tone of various posts that SWMBO had a certain power over a person. LOL, I totally agree, perfect explaination for the other (demanding) half :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a reference to "Rumpole of the Bailey" where the wonderful Horace Rumpole always referred to the redoubtable Mrs Hilda Rumpole as "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

Superb books - and the radio 4 adaptions have whiled away many a boring journey for me!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Its a reference to "Rumpole of the Bailey" where the wonderful Horace Rumpole always referred to the redoubtable Mrs Hilda Rumpole as "She Who Must Be Obeyed".

Superb books - and the radio 4 adaptions have whiled away many a boring journey for me!

Yes and no.
It actually comes from the novel 'She' by Rider Haggard. Which is where John Mortimer took it from for his Rumpole books.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll definitely have to do some Obeying if she finds my new Polish Lavvu tent in the shed! - oh oh im in trouble :slap:

Hah! you try getting a parachute or another knife past HWMBLT :rolleyes: :eek: even Son2 is on his side :sigh:............just no concept of the necesssities of life.......:D :D

cheers,
Toddy

I'll definitely have to do some Obeying if she finds my new Polish Lavvu tent in the shed! - oh oh im in trouble :slap:

yes... that one, im on half term, and mine was set to be delivered yesterday, no problems as swmbo was meant to be at work....

then she took some toil and was at home.... sat at the front door all day, and nearly got it past her until the dogs barked when it was delivered.

I have now had to formally agree not to buy and shelter/tent/ sleep equipment until after our wedding, and then it must be a bell tent with a big wood burning stove......

All that means is i can still have all the other stuff posted to home, and the sheltery things posted to work!!

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i was about to say, don't you lot get everything posted to work?
although i got a knife blank through the post the other day, missed the parcel so SWMBO went and picked it up for me. didn't even bat an eye.
other times i'm possibly looking at death by staring...

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
My SWMBO supports and encourages me in everything so i can order what i like when i like :eek:)

we're going to canada as a family in january so i can get any cold weather gear i so wish any suggestions??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE