Swiss non-folding shovel at a reasonable price in the UK? And question on law...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
Hi, guys,

I am looking for a Swiss non-folding shovel in the UK at a reasonable price. I have read that you can get them in some places in the USA for less than $40, but cannot find them here. Yes, I am sure they should be at some surplus stores, but there are so many of them around that it is a waste of time looking around without good info.
Would you know where to get one other than Evil Bay?

Another question - is it legal to keep a shovel in a car? Not next to the driver's seat inside the saloon, but in the boot along with other spare tools - I suspect keeping a jack handle inside the saloon will be an offense as it can be used immediately as a weapon, but it is ok in the boot, so I wonder if keeping a shovel for emergency situations is legal because, to my knowledge, keeping a knife inside a car is illegal.

Thanks

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Keeping a shovel in the boot is fine.

As for keeping a knife in the boot it all depends on the situation. You just have to have reasonable justification.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I suspect keeping a jack handle inside the saloon will be an offense as it can be used immediately as a weapon, but it is ok in the boot ...

Keeping a jack handle with the jack it's intended for use with (secured in the boot, safe and sound) is unlikely to cause raised eyebrows (providing said jack is suitable for use with the vehicle it's in :rolleyes: ;) ).

... so I wonder if keeping a shovel for emergency situations is legal because, to my knowledge, keeping a knife inside a car is illegal.

No issues with keeping a shovel in the boot of your car for emergency situations ~ providing it's with other things that will be of use in an emergency. If it's the sole item of emergency kit there's little evidence of planning for contingencies.

Providing the knife isn't on the prohibited list keeping one in your car isn't illegal ~ keep it, secured safely, in the boot with other kit (inside a bimble bag / emergency kit etc) ...

Keeping a pointed and / or sharp item close to hand (door pocket, glove box etc) whilst driving can be considered a poor (i.e stoopeed) decision ;)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
A bloke I know of used to drive around with a bit of 4x2 in the boot, just in case, police alwys stopped him but never done him for weapon possession,

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You're actively encouraged to carry such things as a shovel in a vehicle, and all sorts of other kit to get you or somebody else out of trouble or danger.

I'd like to hear what a magistrate would say to me if I was prosecuted for such a thing; I can't believe it's even neccessary to discuss such a thing........What's happening to the world?

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
That's the thing in Britain. If its not illegal then you can have it, but if you use anything for aggressive purposes it can become an offensive weapon, even a cushion. And there's a world of difference between telling a policeman the shovel is to help you get your car out of difficulties and telling them it's for defence. IIRC its the intent that matters.

via Tapatalk mind control.

thomasyale

May 27, 2013
Keswick
quite right... after living in scandinavia through several winters I would feel very un-nerved venturing out into the great unknown during the winter without one in the boot of my car.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
You're actively encouraged to carry such things as a shovel in a vehicle, and all sorts of other kit to get you or somebody else out of trouble or danger.

I'd like to hear what a magistrate would say to me if I was prosecuted for such a thing; I can't believe it's even neccessary to discuss such a thing........What's happening to the world?

Could you refer me, please, to some source that encourages to have shovel in the boot of the car? I want to have a few things for an emergency (water, fire extinguisher, med kit, shovel, maybe also kit for getting out of mud holes in case I get stuck), but don't want to have any trouble with police - had really bad experience with them... I also wonder about Opinel knife - to my knowledge, you can remove o-ring from it and then it does not lock the blade, if I keep the ring nearby, will it make it illegal if the blade is under 3"? Technically, it is under 3" blade and becomes foldable non-lockable blade, but you can quickly install the ring that makes it lockable...

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
If the police find the Opinel ring and know what it is, there will likely be a problem. A warning or you could get nicked ( as you were trying to hide the illegal part with clear intention of using it). I'm talking about a walk thru town though, or keeping it in the car door pocket or glove box, not a walk in the woods or other countryside activity where such knives could reasonably be used.

Last edited:

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
An example From Derbyshire Police website...

"Necessary Equipment
An emergency situation on the road can arise at any time and you must be prepared. In addition to making sure you have a full tank of fuel, and fresh anti-freeze, it is recommended you carry the following items in your boot:
Properly inflated spare tyre, wheel wrench and functional jack.
Shovel.
Bag of salt or cat litter.
etc,etc,
.and a lot more...

Try Googling " police recommendations for winter driving uk"

Mind you, better not write "zombie killer" on the spade. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Opinels are NOT ILLEGAL!

You can carry a locking blade on your person in a public place if you have good reason.

The only illegal knives in this country are switchblades, gravity knives, butterfly knives and knives with built-in knuckledusters.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've never understood why people buy Opinels just to take the ring off - why not just buy a non-locking knife in the first place? They're sharp blades but not that good. I'd rather use something like a SAK that has a spring to stop the blade from closing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE