Swifts the attic (no, no pics....)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I retrieved my camping gear from the attic, where its all been stored since we had the loft coverted earlier this year. I discovered the swifts are nesting there again, as they always have. we have cordoned off an area with white sheets so they wont see us in the attic. There used to be loads of swift families in the attic but they seem to have been declining in recent years, possibly just the one nest this year. (I suspect this has more to do with the neighbors building an extension and making the ginnel narrower than any real decline in numbers)
Anyway, as the loft is converted , peeping through the sheet I can see them in the nests for the first time. It would be wonderful to take a photograph but I serious do not want to disturb them. but perhaps for next year I can rig up some kind of viewing box before they come? has anybody ever tried photographing swifts in the loft before?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Swifts, no, but this year I have photographed several nests (moorhens, balckbirds etc. last year wrens). If you use a long lens and a tripod (or decent zoom) and poke the lens through a hole or gap in the sheets, they won't know you are there. They don't tend to "desert" a nest because someone comes close - obviously don't touch and don't do it frequently and you should be fine

Red

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another option Lindz is a little wireless camera, they have a nice wide angle lens and they're only about the size of a match box. You just tune your TV into the right frequency and sit back and watch the action.

You can get them for about £12 from various places.

We used to have a couple when my car was getting vandalised all the time.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I think the main issue is that its pretty dark and I dont want to risk scaring them with a big flash. I remember springwatch said for some reason they were unable to get shots of swifts in the nest so I thought it would be a great opportunity for some wildlife filming. The chicks havent hatched yet maybe I still have time this year.
Red - the nest is only about 2 feet away behind the sheet, would a long lens be nessisary?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Ooh I know! I could wait till the parents fly out (which can actually be up to three days if they decide to go to Norway!) then I can put a camera in position and use a shutter cable. does that sound like a plan?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE