The life of a homesteader....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Too dark to obey the "4 rules" properly - have to settle for just the two bunnies today. Time to head in for a warm up. Turning chilly in the evenings now......

I wish. 22:28 here now and it's still 81f (27.2c) outside. The prediction for tonight's low is 71f (21.7)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Indeed not - inside now.

Some piccs from today

Our wonderful apple peeler / corer / slicer. I'm not one for gadgets, but this really speeds up apple processing

Apple Peeler by British Red, on Flickr

...and the output. One large jar of dried apple rings dusted with cinnamon and another of plain. I like to do this with our apple "sunset" which is a pippin derived eater with a sharp taste. Makes the best apple rings ever.

Dried Apples by British Red, on Flickr

One of the neighbours dropped off some "surplus" today

Beetroot and cucumber by British Red, on Flickr

He warned us there was another plague of rabbit kits around - we had noticed a couple but there's more than that :(

Started in on them - got two today to go with the one the missus got yesterday

Rabbit by British Red, on Flickr

No photos of me in a bee suit up a ladder doing second treatment on the wasps nests - I had other things on my mind :)

Saw this and thought of you you've probably seen it
http://youtu.be/T0nmEFT6Nbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay gents,

Here is a challenge for you.

I am (slowly) adapting to being a fenlander. For those of you who think "Deliverance" was a joke - stay out of the Fens!

Today, BB and I went for a walk into the Wash. The Wash is bleak. It kills the unwary. So I am not putting this up as a cuddly "please learn to forage here" post. But it is a fascinating habitat.

So, can you see a massive amount of foodstuffs, in three distinct areas here

Foraging on the wash by British Red, on Flickr

I will be honest, being primarily a "rolling hills and woods" kind of guy, I had to totally change my outlook around here, but in that photo there are three elements that represent several tonnes of foraged food.

So, can you see the three components?

To help you out, here is BB a bit further out

BB on the Wash by British Red, on Flickr

So, what are the three foraged items this terrain offer the thrifty homesteader?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very, very good. 2/3 items identified.

For those that don't know, this is samphire

Samphire by British Red, on Flickr

Its horribly expensive to buy...and served in the best restaurants.

The beds are too big to show...but this might help

Wash beds samphire by British Red, on Flickr

These are the "cockle holes"

cockle hole by British Red, on Flickr

and complete with cockles

cockle by British Red, on Flickr

...and a tiny portion of the bed

Cockle bank by British Red, on Flickr

here is the the third area...a good mile below high water but walkable too - if you know what you are doing. If you don't, you die

Why do we take the time do you think?

Wreck on the Wash by British Red, on Flickr

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I must be missing a trick with the samphire, I first tried it in Oz but have found it too salty to eat in any reasonable quantity. How do you prepare it? I was just eating leaves straight off the plant.

Muscles on the wreck?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Steam it Jonny - just lightly - fantastic on brown bread and butter with a poached egg.

TeeDee (no but keep trying)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE