Hibernating Small Tortoiseshell in the house

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just realised that this small black flake of peeling wallpaper in the highest corner of our landing was a small Tortoiseshell butterfly. The biggest clue was when it was no longer in the corner but in the middle of the ceiling within reach. I wafted my hand past it, without touching out, to disturb it a little. It duly opened its wings up to show its full glory close to hand. Beautiful indeed.

Now is it common to find them over wintering in houses?

Why would it stay still and in the one place over the whole of summer only to move for the first time since it appeared today, in Autumn? Seriously, it didn't move at all. I mean I even thought it was the corner of the wallpaper peeling peeling away and the wing was the same black.underside of the wallpaper corner. Now it's being very active, just this last hour!

Anyone got any ideas as to why it's inactive at a time it should be very active but active when the guides have its flight as being at a low level?

Also, what should I do for it? Where it is it's doing no harm, we're all ok with it and our 2 year old will get something positive from seeing it. Providing it doesn't die of course. I'd like to see it through to spring so we can let it out. Any suggestions? I know they do survive into the next year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE