sweet chestnut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Hi guys,
I picked up a couple of kilos of sweet chesntuts this afternoon and i was wondering what i could do with them apart from the obvious roasting them, anyone know if you can make any form of grog out of them?
cheers
lou

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
lou1661 said:
Hi guys,
I picked up a couple of kilos of sweet chesntuts this afternoon and i was wondering what i could do with them apart from the obvious roasting them, anyone know if you can make any form of grog out of them?
cheers
lou

Hi Lou.

I had the same problem last year, a skip load of chestnuts and nothing to do with them. However now i know what to do, try this site.....
Chestnut Recipes

Enjoy

Jason

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Picked up a bag full of big'uns yesterday and i usually eat them raw as i love the bitter sweet taste! But I'm wondering-how do you raost them in an oven? What's the best temp and time? Fully wrapped in their shells I'm assuming???

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
cook at about 180 degrees and pierce the shell of all of them with a skewer/kebab stick etc except one of the chestnuts. when the un-punctured chestnut explodes the others should be done

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
forgot to mention that. When I said explode..........It really does explode so have your cleaning stuff ready. At least you'll be able to munch on the roasted chestnuts while your cleaning the oven. Actually thinking about it I suppose putting the un-punctured chestnut in some tin foil may stop it splattering everywhere but I've never tried it or thought of it for that matter till now. I usually resign myself that it's the price I have to pay for cooking them in the oven. I suppose cooking them on the embers of a fire and waiting for 'the chosen one' to explode would work too, but also I've never tried this with sweet chestnuts. :confused: I suppose if Bing Crosby's tried it then it must work. he was so impressed he wrote a song about it for heavens sake :lmao:

D

darren

if you roast them and ground them up you try making a tea with them. or you can use them as a stuffing on that lovely pigeon you shot with your new slingshot/ bow n arrow. :lmao: you can sell a few aswell. roast dem and sell dem to other hikers on the path. some people will pay like £4 per 100g if theres none on the path ure doing.then you can use that money to go get some beer. :beerchug:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I had all sorts of problems getting smaller ones out of shells after roasting in the oven. One good method I have found if you are wanting the chestnuts for recipes is to take about 10, slice an X in the top and put them in a dish in the microwave. 60-90 seconds should see them done and a doddle to peel.
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE