Swedish preparedness pamphlet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I wouldn't say I've planned at all for an emergency but we could easily survive for 3 months without going out and much longer if necessary. I just find life is easier if we stock up when we can.

I wonder if it's genetic to some degree?
There is a certain matter of luck to it as well. If you succumb to a bad infection or viral disease and there is no help, no amount of prepping will save you. Essentially survival is about communities not about individuals. I think communities are becoming less resilient because the younger generations have not endured the difficulties and hardships of our respective parents and grandparents. My parents were born in a world before antibiotics and treatments for conditions like diabetes. I am only here because of antibiotics, the NHS and the vigilance of my grandmother.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
3 huge poly tunnels destroyed on the farm here. I;m in a tent. I love it.
Last year I had an unwanted polytunnel land on my allotment, one of my neighbours seems totally incapable of keeping any structure undamaged on there, I have seen him lose sheds, greenhouses and the massive polytunnel that was lifted up by the wind and blown over the top of my hedge.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Last year I had an unwanted polytunnel land on my allotment, one of my neighbours seems totally incapable of keeping any structure undamaged on there, I have seen him lose sheds, greenhouses and the massive polytunnel that was lifted up by the wind and blown over the top of my hedge.
. We are on the west coast of Ireland. It has blown over now but earlier this evening the winds were very powerful.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I'm not a hoarder - by that I mean the type of people that become housebound under their own detritus and fear of letting anything 'go' , but maybe both people of a prep mentality and hoarders suffer with anxiety issues. Anxiety is said to be a situation where one is concerned or trapped in a possible future yet to exist , so incapable of living in ( and enjoying fully ) the moment.

Anyhooo - musings.
I guess I am a borderline hoarder though I would describe myself as a collecter, and it is certainly a characteristic of other members of my family. My collections are on display to any visitor but if it reaches the point where major parts of my collection have to be packed away in boxes and put into storage (like the British Museum) then I will have gone beyond the point of any function in it.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I guess I am a borderline hoarder though I would describe myself as a collecter, and it is certainly a characteristic of other members of my family. My collections are on display to any visitor but if it reaches the point where major parts of my collection have to be packed away in boxes and put into storage (like the British Museum) then I will have gone beyond the point of any function in it.

I guess if you had family members that had the same shared behaviour that would / could be more Nuture vs Nature?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Lucky for you.
Did you move to the village for those reasons? if not its more serendipity than specific planning I guess as its reliant upon structures provided by others.
I moved to be in an area that consistently had very low covid rates throughout the pandemic. When rates were at their highest the rate in the village was so low that they didn't release the number of cases because it would allow identification. In the second peak it was also low. In addition it was in a different county whose council supported and gave cover to schools that chose to stay open when they were allowed to. The county we were in said up to schools but anything happens it's on the headteacher. As a result all primary schools closed. Most primary schools in our current county opened.

We lived in a town with fire & rescue in it before. Coastguard wasn't there because it wasn't exactly on the coast. The local rescue team operates in both areas but didn't exist when I moved up this area it my old house.

So this house choice is based on specific planning. For more reasons than one given too. And yes, the village I live in does make me feel very lucky. As someone who has lived around a bit I've never really felt I belonged anywhere. Until two or three weeks at my current house I was walking along, through the village and I just said to my partner that the move was one of the best things I'd done in my life as I finally felt like I belonged somewhere. So very lucky indeed! :)

Reactions: Robbi

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Lucky for you.
Did you move to the village for those reasons? if not its more serendipity than specific planning I guess as its reliant upon structures provided by others.
Grew up in an era when there was a police house in every neighbourhood, but those times are long gone, it is a long walk to the nearest fire station and my block of flats would have burnt to the ground long before any of us could get there. Hospital is about half an hours walk away, but that depends on my being able to walk doesn't it?

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Grew up in an era when there was a police house in every neighbourhood, but those times are long gone, it is a long walk to the nearest fire station and my block of flats would have burnt to the ground long before any of us could get there. Hospital is about half an hours walk away, but that depends on my being able to walk doesn't it?
Where are you from.?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Actually I think there's a lot of fire & rescue stations round here. If you were to drive 15 or 20 minutes away you'd probably be able to get to maybe 5. Considering they've been closing them around the country I think over the years that's a bit ofa cluster. However police stations are rare. 20/30 minutes one way and a bit longer the other, in another county though.

5 minutes away there's a large police house which had been decommissioned many decades ago. Same with the one in our village. I did meet an ex police officer who was based in it. Possibly the last! He was the grandfather of a kid at my son's primary school. We also looked around it before we saw our current house. It was a bit too big and expensive. Plus expensive too heat I reckon.

My previous town closed its police station and house. The village I lived before that closed its police house. The officer moved out but was still the area Bobby. He was a keen Gardner and wrote an article in the local neighbourhood watch newsletter. I only read it once. In his article he recommended plants to places under windows, around drainpipes etc that would deter burglars or mark them badly! One was a species of climbing euphorbia iirc that had long, vicious thorns that left really nasty weald that would last rather painfully for weeks. He argued that if the burglar persisted he'd get marked and he knew most of the local, operating burglars so he'd find out who did it and have enough to get a warrant. What a nice, sadistic copper!

Bushjack

Feb 13, 2024
Cayman Island
I wouldn't personally involve the govt. in anything to do with this site, next thing you know, it will be banned for promoting the use of "dangerous" weapons, blah, blah, blah. They will twist anything to sound like they're getting a 'handle on the problem"!:banghead:
Correct. I wouldn’t trust anyone in the government.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE