Swedish M39 canvas/leather rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I chopped the metal buckles off of the shoulder straps, I cut them to a taper so that they look like they are meant to be that way. I softened the leather up by pulling it back and forth over a rounded edge, in my case the wooden rail on the back of my daughters' high chair. That got the stiff leather more supple and I rubbed in some nikwax product or other. They are great bags and you don't really need to waterproof the sack, if you are worried about water than throw a dry bag inside.

HPIM3180.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Cheers Dave, it is a constant companion in most things I do these days, from bushwhacking day trips and shooting forays to "urban hunting" in Barnsley market! :D I reckon it looks pretty stylish, God knows I need to increase my street cred in some way! The wife now says I resemble a strategically shaved Orangutang since I went on my self imposed shaving ban, I like to think I look more like a Jedi Knight though!

:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They never will Dave, even if many of them can grow better beards than us men!

I'll get some more opics up of the bag for others interested in them, I removed the hooks on the side which I assume are for connecting to a pulk or similar man hauling duties. They were sticking out and scratching the stock of my Theoben. I used a basic hacksaw, nothing more complicated than that, and I tried to bevel the edges of the strap where i cut them off to make it look like the rest of thre leather, but without the right tools it didn't come out perfect. It looks OK but wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny. I saw something very similar to the m35 yesterday when i changed the gas meter of the lead singer of Piston Broke, a local rock band who are playing in Wakefield in a few weekends if anybody is interested! i think it was the old UK issued canvas bag from WW2 era. It was in A class nick, looked perfect to me but he wouldn't part with it!

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I had a similar one many years ago and let it go, but I have been lookingfor a close likeness now for some time and came across this by accident on the web. Ordered it but did not know how to go about restoring it but thanks to this thread I have taken up the challenge. I have already cut the buckles off and have been out and purchased the Neatsfoot, so tomorrow I shall begin the the make over..................

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I too am about to begin the makeover a soon as I find a source of neats foot oil, there is a horsey type shop round these parts somewhere or I might just go with the nikwax, the straps aren't that stiff anyway.

I'm also starting to worry I may becoming a sort of Spamel kit stalker, I've just noticed he has a Swedish snow smock (so do I :eek: ), he has a swedish LK35 (so do I :rolleyes: ), he has a M39 (so do I :eek: ) and he has a german army poncho (So do I - almost :yikes: )

I must not buy a Zeltbahn, I must NOT buy a zeltbahn, I MUST NOT BUY A ZELTBAHN.

They do look quite handy though...

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My zeltbahn is up in the garden at the moment. I can put a picture up tomorrow if you want! :D Best place to buy is Raeer in Germany, 15 euros for a complete set in Flecktarn, you know it makes sense!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yeah, I'm sure they do. Hildesheim Raeer is better than Hannover Raeer thhough, the guys and gal in Hildesheim speak really good english, and the gal is pretty nice too! :naughty:

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
Well I've just jumped on the band wagon and ordered myself one of these. Due to the bank holiday it will be here on Wednesday - cant wait.
Also whilst I was speaking to the staff at Genuine Army Surplus I enquired about the ration packs they sometimes have ( the web page was saying out of stock ) and low and behold they have some in stock, so I ordered some of them as well.

Shaun

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I'm sorely tempted too at that price, the only thing putting me off is what the wife will say as I unpack what will be the third bergen\rucksack I've bought in a year.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I AM the postman ;)

Spamel did you ask where the hairy @rsed rock singer got his pack ?,

Thats my harness straps waxed n loosened up a bit, going to mask off the bag round the straps on it so I dont 'Clart' (Local Northeast Scotland word for get filthy/messy ;) ) the bag with nikwax.

Cut off the hooks I didn't bother trying to bevel it. Might make a hoop of leather for the waist belt to stop the excess flapping about.

Out of interest is it possible to get similar rivets to the ones used in the bag? they look like Copper and Aluminium.

I'm toying with the idea to making a larger hip belt (though this will probablyly stay as a flight of fancy for the near future. I have FAR too many other flights of fancy to be getting on with first)

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Rock bloke has had the bag for years, although I didn't ask where he got it. And I stowed the belt away on mine, I don't carry masses of weight to warrant using it anyway. I use it mainly for day trips and it can carry a typical loadout for a days tramp with ease.

marshall4771

Forager
Jan 5, 2004
Bingley,West Yorkshire
Well it can only happen to me !!!

The postman delivered it today ( my wife was at home ! ). The ration packs ordered are great, one of them is a H5 menu - never seen it before - lamb tagine and mushroom omlete with its little bottle of tabasco, cant wait to try it.

The rucksack was not a Swedish sack as ordered but appears to be a Norwegian rucksack ( I'd post a picy but dont know how to ). It is still made from canvas with leather straps and a metal frame but has the addition of two side pockets. It appears in good condition.

Anyway I telephoned Genuine Army Surplus to explain their mistake and spoke to the boss.He was brilliant and said I was to keep the sack that had been delivered and he would send me out a Swedish rucksack ASAP. Hows that for customer service ?

Well when the other sack arrives I'll compare the two and let you know what I think.

Shaun

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's pretty damned good of them! GAS are pretty good, a few other companies could learn a thing or two from their customer services. I may have to get one of the norwegian packs, I know the one you mean and it looks very similar to the M35 but without the pouch on the front of the sack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE