Swedish lk35

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Your LK35 maybe the LK50 they do look very similar

Twodogs

I do know that there is variation in the 35's size - anything up to just over 40l. Seems those are what were marketed as 50s despite the Swedes never officially calling these anything other than 35l. Few threads/post on here explaining that. :)

If mine is the bigger sizing so much the better.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Moltenisland8.jpg

love0029.gif

LK-35FanClub-1.jpg
:rolleyes: ;) :eek:

Just ordered one in canvas. Hopefully don't live to regret that.

What you have to remember is that a canvas bag on a steel frame weighs a little over 4lb empty. I was warned about that when I bought mine, but to me that's great, because I wanted a smaller DURABLE frame pack to use both for hauling stuff in the bag, and just as importantly carrying in firewood to camp on the frame alone, or carrying parts of animals or gear such as a chainsaw. For that it is superbly designed.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Just got one in canvas, from MilitaryMart, as is much of my kit, and as a bag seems great and well made. The condition as Grade A or A+ not up to MM's usual standard, but serviceable: only a premium was paid for A or A+, but hey ho, it's all secure, and a wash has tidied it a bit. Will add a waist strap methinks..........

Nope, if you're going to add a waiststrap, DON'T use the MFH one for an ALICE pack...a combination of the width and positioning of the buckle on the MFH strap, don't fit if using the bottom triangular loops on the frame, for the waiststrap. One afternoon later and one butchered brand new strap later....no..... (update...after a LOT of faffing and butchery, I am now using this waist belt, and the pack is fabulous. The inside pocket will easily take a polish lavvu and poles, with plenty of space in the main pack....)

Maybe different ones out there work, but having spent as much as I did on the bag for the (what was!) perfectly good strap for its purpose, this one doesn't work/fit.
If I find another (dirt cheap) strap, I may? try again?
:confused:

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I had one for a while, loved how durable it was and how much kit it swallowed up. But to be honest I ended up selling it (for a small profit!!) as I found that I could never get it comfortable on my back. I found that no matter how I had the straps adjusted, the frame seemed to pinch the skin on my hips. Must be something to do with my rotund body shape......the hips don't lie!!

I ended up using the funds to buy a british army bergan which was good but miles too big (100ltrs is way to much imho). I then swapped it for a NI Patrol Pack and love it to bits. Each to their own I guess!!

Last edited:

Dr Toerag

Apr 9, 2015
Birmingham
I just got the Swiss Army Stuff Sack from GOARMY after seeing it on another thread here. It turns out to be the perfect size to fit inside the LK35, and in fact seems to be what MCQBushcraft is using on his setup on YouTube. Given that the waterproof bag is £3.50 from GoArmy.co.uk and the LK35 is £12.50 from Military Mart, it's a (cheap) marriage made in heaven!

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I took the bag off the LK35 frame, added a couple of smaller bags and made it a day trip bag, with a twist.

Both bags are easily removed. When removed the frame can be used for carrying something heavy, if there is need to during the trip. Straps for attaching load to the frame are part of the kit. Also shoulder straps for both bags are part of the kit so that they can be carried as shoulder bags if a load is attached to the frame.

Upper bag, which is an italian surplus gasmask bag, contains tools for making fire.

Day20hike20kit20002_zpsv0kgg0nz.jpg

Lower bag, which is a finnish surplus bread bag, willl be for carrying water and food needed for a day trip.

001_zpskc4tyha5.jpg

There is also room beneath the lower bag to attach a tarp to the frame if need be. For the moment i dont´t have any.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
i have used thees packs on and off for the past six years...i did a review on my you tub channel and went over the pack in some detail.
I took it on a week long canoe trip and it worked very well as i did not have to carry it much, but rather it rode nicely aboard ship.

Used it again for a nine day backpacking trip in the rugged Wind River Mountain range...i had to carry several items strapped to the outside of the pack and used a molle ll hip belt with canteen and bear spray attached to the webbing on the belt.
Now, i'm not going to say it was overly comfy...but it was manageable...at some point during that trip i told myself it would be the packs last multi day trip.

However it is a nice pack with many redeeming features...but like the ALICE pack...it takes some tweaking to dial it in....i still use the pack from time to time because i do like it...There is a nostalgic feel to it harking back to the days of the fur trade,
That and my rifle sling sits nicely slung over the frame:)...atb...woods

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I don't think most here actually use their packs for extended durations. For shorter trips, i'm sure they can work.

(Not an attack on people here, just since this is a bushcraft forum, the main focus is more on self reliance and building. Not on packing your stuff for long hikes and actually using your pack other than carry in your stuff and carry it out again over a shorter distance. And yes, i'm sure some people do use their stuff like that, but the majority doesn't. Just different goals and requirements. I'll personally take a decent "civilian" pack over an issued surplus pack anytime.)

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
Most Swedish soldiers hated both the 35 and 70.
Horrible thin metal frames, badly designed for the average man's body. a bit of load on and they chafed like mad.

Show me a military that didn't hate their rucks when forced to hump between 60 and 100 lbs of gear...makes for a long day rucking...i think perhaps an adjustable suspension system and better padding would have helped a bit...but as humans we would have found something hateful about the thing any ol ways...human nature i reckon:)...woods

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In my squadron out of 172 guys, only one guy used the 35 and 70 backpacks. He did it with all equipment, used only the issued.
The rest of us, officers and troops, bought many items ourselves.

I do not know if the 35 you buy has a lap belt attached? Originally, when the packs were taken out from the mobilisation storages to be rotated/used they had a thin leather belt, but that got replaced straight away by an issued padded wider belt.

Still both sizes were unwearable with full load. The frame is the problem.

I am sure it can be used on a day trip with a light load, but so can a Fjällräven Kånken.
The quality is amazing, will last for many decades.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
I hear ya amigo...like i said i used it on a nine day trip through the mountains of Wyoming...it was not real comfortable, but manageable.
I did not have the issued? hip belt but used a molle ll hip belt...and i left with a mere 45ish lbs which got a bit lighter with each passing day.
As i said before, i would not take it on such a trip again, but if i had to, i reckon i'd survive...definitely not perfect...but certainly serviceable:)...atb...woods

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think it has to do with the phenomenon "retro chic" or whatever it is called.
I confess I am a victim myself when it comes to my view on electronics or anything battery driven. I like a map and compass. No torch, no emergency beacon.
All my watches ( I collect) are mechanic.

I just remember another negative with the old 35 and 70:
When the lrather straps get wet, they swell. A sure way to break a nail or two, undoing them. In winter if the pack is stored in a tent or cabin with plus temperature, and gets wet, the leather will freeze. Impossible to open, can
break too.

But I guess that is not a problem in UK!

Do not read me wrong, it is superb quality sack. But know the negatives too before you spend your hard earned cash on it!

Last edited:

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
I think it has to do with the phenomenon "retro chic" or whatever it is called.
I confess I am a victim myself when it comes to my view on electronics or anything battery driven. I like a map and compass. No torch, no emergency beacon.
All my watches ( I collect) are mechanic.

I just remember another negative with the old 35 and 70:
When the lrather straps get wet, they swell. A sure way to break a nail or two, undoing them. In winter if the pack is stored in a tent or cabin with plus temperature, and gets wet, the leather will freeze. Impossible to open, can
break too.

But I guess that is not a problem in UK!

Do not read me wrong, it is superb quality sack. But know the negatives too before you spend your hard earned cash on it!
I couldn't agree more Janne!:)...atb...woods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE