Swedish Army 'Trangia'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I have got the classic Trangia design and also the recent Lidl copy.

Set up your trangia as laid out in the instructions with the lower and upper windshileds attatched together (pop in the cooking rack if it has one, saves burning the fingers later).

Get the Trangia burner itslef and 3/4 fill with Meths and let it goes down a bit (it soaks into the wick a little) and then top back up to around the 3/4 mark.
Pop the burner into the recess in the lower wind shield and light with a naked flame.
I sometimes keep the match burning in thier for a good three seconds just to make sure it is lit as you cannot see the flame.
Do not put the simmer ring onto the burner as it may extinguish the flame.

Now turn the entire trangia around so that the holes in the lower windshield are turned away from any draughts and pop on your pan of food/water.

If there is a nice steady breeze you can now turn the lower windshield's holes back towards the wind slightly to increase the flame otherwise monitor the flames progress or leave alone.

If the flame still keeps going out set up in a completely draught free area and re-try and if it goes out still after a few more tries then I would return the set. The expense is not worth messing about with the burner as they cost under ten pounds to replace anyway.

Hope this is of help................

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
OK a few things

1. What intstuctions?

2. What wick?

3.If I fill it three quarters full it goes down like you say but then if I fill it three quarters full again that goes down aswell.

4. Should I let some air in onto the top of it?

5. I don't seem to get much of a flame out of the little holes.

I'm completely stuck as to how it works. Oh and I don't think I've mentioned yet but I've got the Swedish army trangia set thing with the pan and stuff.

Thanks

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Ed W said:
3.If I fill it three quarters full it goes down like you say but then if I fill it three quarters full again that goes down aswell.

4. Should I let some air in onto the top of it?

5. I don't seem to get much of a flame out of the little holes.

Thanks
It isn't leaking is it ?

Probably a silly question, but - your not putting the lid on the burner are you?

Should be a fairly smallish blue flame from the little holes.

Check this thread out :
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3080&page=6&pp=10&highlight=shootout

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Sorry ED my firend, I havent made myself very clear:

All the trangia related sets work in a similar manner with a burner, windsheild set and pots etc. They just look slightly different.

Forget the intsructions, obviously you never had any.

As for the wick thing, it is contained within the burner unit, that is why when you fill the unit up it goes down again, keep filling untill it does not go down again by too much i.e to make sure the wick is saturated. Then light the fuel within the burner unit itself (the pool of meths).

The burner should be left completely open without the simmer ring being place on top or similar device.

We will get you there....

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I wouldn't give up on the mil one yet, cos the civi like the one below is about £44 with a kettle - 39 without. But here you go:

Civi trangia:
Trangia 27-2 Cooker (inclusive of kettle)
The 27 series is suitable for one/two people.
Stove in aluminium with
2 1.0 litre saucepans, graded and ungraded
1 Frypan, 18 cm
1 Kettle, 0.6 litre
2 Windshields (upper and lower)
1 Burner
1 Handle
Weight: 980g

Attachments

• 27wkettle.jpg
    27wkettle.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 122

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
The burner themselves got around under 10 pounds from field and trek and probably many othr places. Its a shame you couldnt have gotten one of the really cheap Lidl sets, they were selling for 7.99, you never know someone on here might have a spare....

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Ed W,
not sure if you've got the Lidl copy, or the Swedish Army trangia, but here are a couple of pictures of the Lidl one.

First pic is the lit burner on full heat, showing "gas ring" effect.
Second pic shows the burner with the "simmer ring" fitted for slower cooking.
Third pic show the burner being put out with the simmer ring (closed)

I did have some vague instructions with mine, but the pan support fitting wasn't clear. You have to fit it with the wide end downwards, and squeeze the open end together so the lower ring fits into the slot in the windshield - this keeps the pan base above the burner (see piccy 4).

Hope this helps

Steve

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
hmm... but ofcorse ! thats why we got a second ring there. I put that pan support upside down. Does the same thing for spacing, but it didn't keep the pans in the middle. Love this forum!

Mine burner appears to give bigger flames, but that could be just the lighting effect.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Finally got it to work last night. Thanks for all the help I think the holes in the side were blocked up or something because when I cleaned it out it worked.

I probably won't buy a civi one now but if they're quicker at boiling water I still might.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Marts said:
I hadn't noticed other having problems...I made an order from surplus and adventure 3 months ago. It was only for about £30 of bits and pieces, but so far I have received a box of waterproof matches from them. Despite numerous e-mails (which they simply ignored) and telephone calls where they said they had stock problems (For hexy blocks and a closed-cell mat! :eek: ) and would get back to me, I haven't heard a peep out of them. I certainly won't be using them again and have warned several friends to steer clear of them. :(

i ordered two items from them a month ago.

and after waiting, and emailing and getting hardly any reply, i phoned them - only to be told one of the items was not in stock - even tho they had debited my account for the worth of that item; i asked when it would be in stock they said a week, that was a week ago - and i am going to wait until next week before i phone them again.

i wont be using them again, i found the person on the end of the phone very un-helpful and generally rude, and their customer services is a joke.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
That is pretty dire service to say the least and you will not be the last either. Its seems to be a particular problem with a select few of the Internet shops out there.They present an electronic storefront, but do not maintain a service behind it. I had the same problem with the Nanok sleeping bags a good while ago. Many of the storefornts were still advertising the bags, but as we know most had probably sold out long ago, what I mean by this is that they do not say if they have any available stock but would let you purchase the item anyway. You would then be told that the item is currently out of stock and they are on order. We all want our goods as soon as, not next month. So in the case of the Nanok bags I could (would) have been waiting months. I decided to email each of the companies in turn and out of five only one had the decency to reply. So in future I always contact the company to check their stocks unless the website informs you that they have them in stock (then they probably wouldnt have them in either) or give them a ring, unless you know they are a good relaible company to do business with.

Omega

Jul 11, 2004
UK
A question about Trangia stoves: in your opinion, is it worth paying extra for non-stick Trangia set or duossal pans? I read technical dictionary which says duossal pans are made of aluminium with stainless steel layer inside. Does it make the pan much easier to clean?
As I understood, trangia stoves work at relatively low temperatures. Plus, I read recommendations of adding a bit of water (10%) into fuel - this way the pans won't get blackened from outside. If they do not become black from outside, will the food not stick inside?
And final question: has anybody on the forum made his own meths burner using cans of beer and cola, as described on internet. How long does it take to make one stove? Someone mentioned here they do not last long, but if you can make a burner quickly, I do not see short live of a burner as a problem. I saw today in Millets pans for camping, maybe I should make my own burner and simply buy pans from the shop/
Regards,

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i have several trangias, two swedish ones and a mini trangia. the mini has a non stick frying pan and i would say it's well worth getting a non-stick frying pan. it makes cleaning up so much easier.
as to the home made burners, i've made one in a couple of hours (it takes a little time for glues to cure) but you'll need a windshield / support for the pots.
the blackening of the pots has nothing to do with food sticking to the inside. the black is caused by the purple dye in the meths burning and causing soot. this is what is reduced by adding the water however adding water seems to lower the temperature of the flame making things take longer to cook (although using industrial meths significantly reduces soot buildup without affecting cooking times). additionally you can use the old boy scout trick of rubbing a little washing up liquid onto the bottom of your pans. it doesn't stop the soot but it makes them easier to clean.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Omega said:
And final question: has anybody on the forum made his own meths burner using cans of beer and cola, as described on internet. How long does it take to make one stove? Someone mentioned here they do not last long, but if you can make a burner quickly, I do not see short live of a burner as a problem. I saw today in Millets pans for camping, maybe I should make my own burner and simply buy pans from the shop/
Regards,

Very quick (5 -10 min's) and easy to make a burner ,check this thread http://bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=6408

The military trangias are great value and the civy versions are top kit if you want to spend more on a more refined stove.
The stainless military trangia is probably the best option if you will be using the pots on an open fire as well as with a burner.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Omega, I made a pepsi can stove without any tape or glue, and after about three test burns it works just fine, because the cans fit together tightly. I'm going to try to make a stand and windshield for it in the next couple of days, so I can use it on my upcoming holiday (starts monday!). I'll post whatever happens. When you say you want 'pans', it makes me thin that you want to do proper cooking with it, but the simplest design can't simmer and they are really only used to boil water for noodles and dehydrated food. If that's all you're doing it probably makes sense to continue in the weight-stripping vein and get a big steel mug with an improvised lid, or maybe a single billy that you could also cook with over an open fire. Anyhow, you'll figure out what works best for you. I'm gonna get myself a swedish army trangia when I get back to britain because they're versatile and dirt cheap. You can use the burner with a lightweight windshield or any number of other combinations.

This link has loads of homemade designs you can look at. Good luck!

http://wings.interfree.it/html/m :) ain.html

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Omega said:
A question about Trangia stoves: in your opinion, is it worth paying extra for non-stick Trangia set or duossal pans? I read technical dictionary which says duossal pans are made of aluminium with stainless steel layer inside. Does it make the pan much easier to clean?
As I understood, trangia stoves work at relatively low temperatures. Plus, I read recommendations of adding a bit of water (10%) into fuel - this way the pans won't get blackened from outside. If they do not become black from outside, will the food not stick inside?
Regards,

The duossal pans are great and are very easy to clean, they weigh a little more then the alu pots but are worth it.
Don´t add water to them eths it´s a too big risk tthat it will not burn at all, and a little blackened pot just gives it that nice feeling of being used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE