Swedish Army 'Trangia'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I used mine for the first time yesterday and can report that I found it fairly quick. Not up there with my mini gas stove, but quicker than the crusader. The burner comes with a screw lid as standard and you can just pop it over to put it out, but I just blew it out with one puff. The windshield gets bloody hot though. I used the lid to bake bread with a stick for the handle. Great idea! Then boiled pasta in the billy and added a tomato soup into the watewr at the end to make a sauce. Great, except I found it very tricky to eat out of the billy, as the billy stayed bloody hot for ages, and the sides were too high for my ickle spoon. So am I missing something here like a billy can rigid handle to pour or hold? Bit heavy for my liking as well, but an ok bit of kit. Never did get around to hanging it over the fire, but made the bracket and it would have worked well. First time I've burned Sweet Chestnut, and it gives a very clean flame with very little smoke at all. I'll have to find that again! My assistant discovered that by putting the Green Slime in the Crusader cooker, then screwing up the wrapper and putting that in too, makes the burner more efficient. It seems to burn hotter and longer, and disposes of the wrapper too. We think they are bio degradable, but not sure.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have got a military trangia aswell . really like the design as it is adapptable for most situations , but i think it is quite slow to boil . Last time i used it i ended up having a half warm brew !! :eek:
Are there any modifications to the burners that work ?
Pumbaa

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
pumbaa said:
I have got a military trangia aswell . really like the design as it is adapptable for most situations , but i think it is quite slow to boil . Last time i used it i ended up having a half warm brew !! :eek:
Are there any modifications to the burners that work ?
Pumbaa
Yes; wind. Put it in a gale and you will be roasting ox over four foot flames :D Not quite, but that's the best way to perk them up.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
HuBBa said:
Hm.. is this the Military model or the Civilian one? I've noted a lot of people are complaining that their trangia's take a long time to heat up, mine (military model ) is faster than my stove at home :) The Civilian version is fairly crap though.

Or maybe i just got lucky with mine :)

You might want to take a look at this link, some interesting findings. :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=3080

;)

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Very interesting comparison. Mine was also brand new and that behaved a lot more like the civvy version in that comparison. Of course, the big question is not if two brand new versions work perfect. But which works after 5 years use every odd weekend :)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
HuBBa said:
Very interesting comparison. Mine was also brand new and that behaved a lot more like the civvy version in that comparison. Of course, the big question is not if two brand new versions work perfect. But which works after 5 years use every odd weekend :)

Absolutely.

The mil-spec model was designed to be squaddie proof and the thickness of metal and robust constrcution seems to bear that out. Performance does suffer for it though. It isn't as efficient or as fast as the civvi model.

But the fastest and most efficient are the coke-can stoves. They heat up in no time and burn very hot indeed, mainly because they are very thin metal. But they dont have much of a lifespan, probably 1 year or so of fairly regular use.

I dont think the civvi model trangia is that fragile though and see no reason why it shouldn't continue to perform for decades of heavy use.

HuBBa

Forager
May 19, 2005
Borås, Sweden
www.hubbatheman.com
Another thing to remember is that there are not one military model but several depending on which year they were made. Some even have a small ring which lets you adjust the flame (and thus heat), some are slightly smaller (more like the civvy model) and so on.

Mine has no such ring and pretty much only have one setting. Full heat =)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
HuBBa said:
Another thing to remember is that there are not one military model but several depending on which year they were made. Some even have a small ring which lets you adjust the flame (and thus heat), some are slightly smaller (more like the civvy model) and so on.

Mine has no such ring and pretty much only have one setting. Full heat =)

Interesting, I've never seen any variants of the military version.

Here's the one I tested....

mmp017.jpg

...with a home made photon and the civvi model on the right.

I know thewre are variants on the civvi model, or rather "copies" which may or may not be as good - dunno, havent tried one.

Do you have a pic of one of the military variants?

Cheers,
Martyn.

P

PJH

For those looking for the stainless steel version, there appears to be one on eBay now. Follow the link...here.

I'd get it myself, but I don't want to pay shipping to the U.S.

I find them from time to time on eBay. Sometimes in the UK, sometimes in the US.

-pj

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
PJH said:
For those looking for the stainless steel version, there appears to be one on eBay now. Follow the link...here.

I'd get it myself, but I don't want to pay shipping to the U.S.

I find them from time to time on eBay. Sometimes in the UK, sometimes in the US.

-pj

The mess kit in the picture is made of aluminium and not stainless.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Regarding the military burners: I have two and one is made by Svea and one is made by Trangia.

The Trangia one is a bit faster.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Would drilling the holes a little bigger help things ? Or will it just ruin it ?
I have not got my head round the theory of how these actualy work yet !

Pumbaa

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
pumbaa said:
Would drilling the holes a little bigger help things ? Or will it just ruin it ?
I have not got my head round the theory of how these actualy work yet !

Pumbaa

You could experiment, but I think you'd ruin it. They work on a pressure build up - too many holes or too big holes and the pressure doesnt build up enough to make the flames "jet". The problem with the military version is it's large mass - the burner has to overcome the heatsink effect before it can get hot enough to evaporate the meths, build pressure up and start to jet. The civvi version is made of thinner metal and has a lower mass. The heatsink effect is less, so the stove heats up quicker. The thin home made aluminium stoves are even thinner and have an even lower mas - as a result they heat up much faster still.

The slower heat up time and slightly lower efficiency/output of the military model is the price you pay for an ultra-robust, soldier proof stove.

But you also have to put it into perspective, it's not that much slower or less efficient - it's not a deal breaker. :)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
It could speed up iy if you clean it up and care for it. I have seen some burners that do not look good or work god, all you need to do is to clean the small holes ad clean the rest with some meth.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Viking said:
It could speed up iy if you clean it up and care for it. I have seen some burners that do not look good or work god, all you need to do is to clean the small holes ad clean the rest with some meth.

Doesnt matter how clean it is, it wont be as fast to heat up, or as efficient as the civvi model. But I agree, anything like this will work better if it's kept in good condition.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was always told that the perfect cooker would boil a pot of water in 30 seconds longer that it takes to put your tent up.

I suppose the same could be said of any other kind of shelter too. Start up the stove, then start building.

Your cuppa should be ready just when you need it. ;)

P

PJH

Viking said:
The mess kit in the picture is made of aluminium and not stainless.

Sorry, it looked a lot like my (painted) stainless steel version. Just trying to help. :)

-pj

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE