Swedish Army M90 Parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
HI,

Can any one please tell me what the M90 parka is like (as sold on RM site for £39.95).

A few sites are selling them for £19.95 and I was thinking of getting one.

Any help appreciated.

John

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
This subject was up for some days ago... :banghead:

But it's worth your hard earned money. Small packing volume (packs into its hood), good warmth/weight ratio, highly wind resistance and some water resistance.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
big_swede said:
This subject was up for some days ago... :banghead:
So it was, no harming in asking again, just to be sure and all.
:red:
big_swede said:
But it's worth your hard earned money. Small packing volume (packs into its hood), good warmth/weight ratio, highly wind resistance and some water resistance.

What material are they made from?

Thanks

John

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Ive had a look at these in the local surplus store and they do look very very good,great value at £20 too!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hunter_zero said:
What material are they made from?

Thanks

John

The outer is made of 65/35 Polycotton, the lining is polyamid and the insulation is polyester. The zip is a chunky plastic, and is covered by a buttoned stormflap, the pockets are of folding kind, to reduce the risk of loosing stuff, and is also button down. Some models have an insulated hood, most have an uninsulated.

Cuffs can be tightened by buttons. Drawstring in the bottom and in the hood. Put the jacket down on the back, fold the arms inwards towards the zip, and fold each side again, roll into the hood, and make a bow-tie with the hood drawstring, and you have a nice little bundle of warmth.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
big_swede said:
The outer is made of 65/35 Polycotton, the lining is polyamid and the insulation is polyester. The zip is a chunky plastic, and is covered by a buttoned stormflap, the pockets are of folding kind, to reduce the risk of loosing stuff, and is also button down. Some models have an insulated hood, most have an uninsulated.

Cuffs can be tightened by buttons. Drawstring in the bottom and in the hood. Put the jacket down on the back, fold the arms inwards towards the zip, and fold each side again, roll into the hood, and make a bow-tie with the hood drawstring, and you have a nice little bundle of warmth.

Thanks for that!

I received mine today, that's ONE day after I placed the order WOW!

What a company, service is EXCELLENT!

I can REALLY recommend this company, WOW!

(must say that I have no connection with the company).

I am very happy with the coat, perfect for shooting and walking in the woods.

John

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
actually, there is one more nice trick to it. You might have noticed the button and slot in the lower 'corners', that is on each side of the zip, by the bottom. Put your arms through the jacket arms and grab the button/slot on the opposite side, pull throught the arms, tuck in the rest and fasten the button. Makes a nice roll to carry over your shoulder, or to put round a pack for easy acces.

woodchips

Aug 30, 2006
Bristol, UK
Hi Hunter_zero, if the excellent service you are talking about is surplusandadventure you have either been lucky or I have been unlucky.

I am still waiting for an order I placed mid December. I have been told different stories both times I phoned up and neither of them came true. I wish I had ordered from somewhere honest such as outdoorcode.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
woodchips said:
Hi Hunter_zero, if the excellent service you are talking about is surplusandadventure you have either been lucky or I have been unlucky.

I am still waiting for an order I placed mid December. I have been told different stories both times I phoned up and neither of them came true. I wish I had ordered from somewhere honest such as outdoorcode.

Just speak as *I* find mate.

John

woodchips

Aug 30, 2006
Bristol, UK
Same here dude, there is all ways too sides to a story, I just wanted to balance the story a little as that company annoyed me :(

Sorry to put a downer on your good result.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got one of these, had it ages and got it for £15 in a quaint little local surplus shop.

I use it as a pillow when I sleep in a dossbag in the winter and just wear it to sleep in in the summer. It's really nice to put on first thing in the morning when you get out of your bag all cold and need to pee.

I'm well impressed with them and use mine loads. As has been said they are very very light and in my humble opinion a real bargain. You can also tuck up the bottom of it and wear it under your outer smock if it's a really cold day.

All in all a good and inexpensive bit of kit.....every winter bushcrafter on a budget should have one ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Just had my one of these arrive today, and initial impressions are good. Wore it out this morning and certainly feels very warm. One thing I'm wondering is whats the water resistance like on these? I can see it won't work in a downpour but what kind of limit does it have against rain, and are there any tips anyone can offer to help boost the waterproofing? All in all though for £20 it's a bargin even if you had to get a new one every couple of years.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
@ Feygan

The water resistance is OK when the coat is new. If your coat is worn a lot, before you bought it, the surface of the cloth is not plain. I do not know if I use the right words or expressions but what I mean is that if you iron the coat (outside) the surface will not "catch" the water. It just runs of. If this wont help, use a water resist reconditioning for cloth made in polyester and cotton. I believe that the cloth in the coat is 50/50 (poly/cotton). There is different methods to threat garments depending what brand of reconditioner. Some recommend soaking in water or using a washing machine. But add heat in any form: ironing or tumbledry. The intended use of the coat is in coldweather conditions or, in emergency, as a sleepingbag together with the pants. Have you seen the pants in the same genre by the way? The pants has zippers on both legs from top to bottom. You can if you want constuct a makeshift sleepingbag by connecting the rightside zipper with the left side. But it only reach a little bit over your waist so I recommend that you have a coat nearby. Have you figured out what the two pieces of cloth is for, found on the inside of the front (one with a button & one with a button hole)? /Swede (who has slept some times in the coat & trousers) :cool:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Swede said:
@ Feygan

The water resistance is OK when the coat is new. If your coat is worn a lot, before you bought it, the surface of the cloth is not plain. I do not know if I use the right words or expressions but what I mean is that if you iron the coat (outside) the surface will not "catch" the water. It just runs of. If this wont help, use a water resist reconditioning for cloth made in polyester and cotton. I believe that the cloth in the coat is 50/50 (poly/cotton). There is different methods to threat garments depending what brand of reconditioner. Some recommend soaking in water or using a washing machine. But add heat in any form: ironing or tumbledry. The intended use of the coat is in coldweather conditions or, in emergency, as a sleepingbag together with the pants. Have you seen the pants in the same genre by the way? The pants has zippers on both legs from top to bottom. You can if you want constuct a makeshift sleepingbag by connecting the rightside zipper with the left side. But it only reach a little bit over your waist so I recommend that you have a coat nearby. Have you figured out what the two pieces of cloth is for, found on the inside of the front (one with a button & one with a button hole)? /Swede (who has slept some times in the coat & trousers) :cool:

The cloth is 65/35 poly/cotton... As it says on the label inside.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
@ big_swede

Du har så rätt så. Jag snöade in på att det är samma impregneringsmedel som för kläder med 50/50 blandning som annan blandning av polyester och bomull.

My mistake. big_swede is right. But the impregnating agent is still the same and the procedure as well. /Swede

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Hunter_zero said:
Thanks for that!

I received mine today, that's ONE day after I placed the order WOW!

What a company, service is EXCELLENT!

I can REALLY recommend this company, WOW!

(must say that I have no connection with the company).

I am very happy with the coat, perfect for shooting and walking in the woods.

John

I love mine too... MUCH lighter than I thought it would be, though I was a bit disipointed to find out that the hood was uninsulated...
How are you supposed to tightien the hood? Tieing a knot around your neck does not seem to be very safe...:eek:
I may have to put some cord locks on the drawstrings...

It is not quite as warm as I had expedted, seeing as how is is made for a Swedish climate and I live in Texas...
So, for the cold days here, I ordered the older one for $19.97(10.16 British Pounds)!!!
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=306933
Now, THAT coat is WARM!!! It seems MUCH warmer than my down parka, probabally because it is MUCH longer than the parka... I just wish that it had a hood... But I just cannot describe just how warm it is...
They have some paints that SEEM to match them http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=306937 but I am afrad that the large would be to small for me...

I got my M90 {url=http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=306935]HERE[/url] along with the paints to go with them, but the paints were WAY to small, but is seems hardly worth the cost to send them back...
I love there Swedish surplus items... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=Page%3A+%2FDefault.asp+KW+Box&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=swedish

All in all, they are BOTH great items, at great prices(The older one an AMAZING price)...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE