Swedish Army M90 Parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
big_swede said:
actually, there is one more nice trick to it. You might have noticed the button and slot in the lower 'corners', that is on each side of the zip, by the bottom. Put your arms through the jacket arms and grab the button/slot on the opposite side, pull throught the arms, tuck in the rest and fasten the button. Makes a nice roll to carry over your shoulder, or to put round a pack for easy acces.

Ok.... You are going to have to go through that again...
Do you mean to put your arms through like you were wearing the coat, or do you mean to reach through from the cuff side?

I always just used the button to close the bottom of the coat when I was walking in cold windy conditions...

Any chance you could post a few pictures showing what you are talking about???

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Swede said:
@ Feygan

The water resistance is OK when the coat is new. If your coat is worn a lot, before you bought it, the surface of the cloth is not plain. I do not know if I use the right words or expressions but what I mean is that if you iron the coat (outside) the surface will not "catch" the water. It just runs of. If this wont help, use a water resist reconditioning for cloth made in polyester and cotton. I believe that the cloth in the coat is 50/50 (poly/cotton). There is different methods to threat garments depending what brand of reconditioner. Some recommend soaking in water or using a washing machine. But add heat in any form: ironing or tumbledry. The intended use of the coat is in coldweather conditions or, in emergency, as a sleepingbag together with the pants. Have you seen the pants in the same genre by the way? The pants has zippers on both legs from top to bottom. You can if you want constuct a makeshift sleepingbag by connecting the rightside zipper with the left side. But it only reach a little bit over your waist so I recommend that you have a coat nearby. Have you figured out what the two pieces of cloth is for, found on the inside of the front (one with a button & one with a button hole)? /Swede (who has slept some times in the coat & trousers) :cool:

WOW, I will have to try that with the paints, but they are WAY to small for me to fit in as pants...
Does anyone know what they call a XL size as far as waist size goes?
I ordered an XL and it seems to be VERY small...
I wear a 40" wast in US measurments...

About the button and strap... I thought is was just a chest strap so that you could wear it unzipped on warmer days without it blowing all over the place... It is has other uses, I would love ot know it... They should include instruction books with some of the military gear, they have so many 'tricks' built in!
I still sometimes have problems getting my Swedish army stove all stowed properly...
I also have the British canteen with the plastic cup, metal cup, and stove, and for the life of me, cannot figure how to stow it properly...
I put the plastic cup on top of the canteen, the metal cup on th bottom, and the stove under that, but it does not fit securely at ALL... And where can I find a case to hold it all together???

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
jamesraykenney said:
Ok.... You are going to have to go through that again...
Do you mean to put your arms through like you were wearing the coat, or do you mean to reach through from the cuff side?

I always just used the button to close the bottom of the coat when I was walking in cold windy conditions...

Any chance you could post a few pictures showing what you are talking about???

There are no kit instructions written down, it's a storyteller tradition ;) (actually there are instructions, in sold mtrl p)

Since it's late, and I'm going up early tomorrow to try my new lavvo, I will try to explain what I mean in a couple of easy steps.

1 Put the parka down on it's back with the arms orthogonal to the zipper.
2 Standing by the top side of the jacket, put your left hand through the jackets left cuff, and reach for the lower right corner of the hem, grab it.
3. Put your right hand through the jackets right cuff, and reach for the lower left corner of the hem, grab it.
4 Pull the hem corners all the way through, it should now look like a sloppy bundle/sausage.
5 Tuck in all excess fabric so that it kind of resembles a sausage.
6 Fasten the button, wear over your shoulder, or around a pack, or under a pack lid or whatever.

With practice, this makes a fast way of stowing the jacket, much faster then rolling it in the hood. This bundle is also nice when you carry a small daypack, like a bumbag, but still want to have some reinforcement clothing for breaks.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Just translated the page from that manual for the rolling bit.

SwedishParker.jpg

Some of it's abit disjointed but I blame the translation software personally. :D

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Feygan said:
Just translated the page from that manual for the rolling bit.

SwedishParker.jpg

Some of it's abit disjointed but I blame the translation software personally. :D

Actually, the part I was asking about was the method of using the bottom buttons and the sleeves, but that was useful info to...

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
jamesraykenney said:
About the button and strap... I thought is was just a chest strap so that you could wear it unzipped on warmer days without it blowing all over the place... It is has other uses, I would love ot know it...

I still sometimes have problems getting my Swedish army stove all stowed properly...

I also have the British canteen with the plastic cup, metal cup, and stove, and for the life of me, cannot figure how to stow it properly...
I put the plastic cup on top of the canteen, the metal cup on th bottom, and the stove under that, but it does not fit securely at ALL... And where can I find a case to hold it all together???

Hi! You´re right about the chest strap. Did you manage to stuff the coat after big_swede´s instructions? It´s really, as he says, a good method bringing your coat if you´re not carrying a back pack. I used to have spare clothes in the pockets (socks, cap & gloves for the night). I think I´ve seen pictures from II WW where russian soldiers carry their coats the same way. In Sweden I´ve heard the inofficial name of the method as "ryssrulle" (russianroll) :rolleyes: About the stove, the pot & pan come in both aluminium and stainless. The stainless version is slightly heavier. Sometimes the stove has been abused so it can be difficult to put together. The procedure to pack the pot & pan together is to first put in the cutlery in the pot. Then you put the plasticcup (kåsa) upside down with the sharp tip down. Then you put the pan on top and fold down the handle which should fit with the pot. If you manage to fold the handle so much so it locks together with the pot I think you´ll manage to lock it with the army issue can-opener. If the panhandle is abused this might be difficult. To fit the set into the stove might also be difficult because the margins aren´t big. You can, if you want to, put the burner in before you lay down the cutlery. But it is not recommended if the burner contains alcohol and is leaking. In the winter we used to carry the burner close to the body to keep the alcohol warm and would ignite without problems. I have two sets, one aluminium and one stainless. The stainless is less worn so it fits toghether without problems. I use a non issue cotton bag to store it in the backpack. This kitchen version is for the ordinary infantry soldier. The rangers use another model. It looks almost like the Trangia but it´s hard to get. I share your interest in searching for built-in tricks. It´s fun to figure out new tricks but sometimes it´s impossible to find out whitout guidance. You´re welcome with more questions if you like. /Swede :)

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Swede said:
Hi! You´re right about the chest strap. Did you manage to stuff the coat after big_swede´s instructions? It´s really, as he says, a good method bringing your coat if you´re not carrying a back pack. I used to have spare clothes in the pockets (socks, cap & gloves for the night). I think I´ve seen pictures from II WW where russian soldiers carry their coats the same way. In Sweden I´ve heard the inofficial name of the method as "ryssrulle" (russianroll) :rolleyes: About the stove, the pot & pan come in both aluminium and stainless. The stainless version is slightly heavier. Sometimes the stove has been abused so it can be difficult to put together. The procedure to pack the pot & pan together is to first put in the cutlery in the pot. Then you put the plasticcup (kåsa) upside down with the sharp tip down. Then you put the pan on top and fold down the handle which should fit with the pot. If you manage to fold the handle so much so it locks together with the pot I think you´ll manage to lock it with the army issue can-opener. If the panhandle is abused this might be difficult. To fit the set into the stove might also be difficult because the margins aren´t big. You can, if you want to, put the burner in before you lay down the cutlery. But it is not recommended if the burner contains alcohol and is leaking. In the winter we used to carry the burner close to the body to keep the alcohol warm and would ignite without problems. I have two sets, one aluminium and one stainless. The stainless is less worn so it fits toghether without problems. I use a non issue cotton bag to store it in the backpack. This kitchen version is for the ordinary infantry soldier. The rangers use another model. It looks almost like the Trangia but it´s hard to get. I share your interest in searching for built-in tricks. It´s fun to figure out new tricks but sometimes it´s impossible to find out whitout guidance. You´re welcome with more questions if you like. /Swede :)

Is THIS the one you are talking about?
I do not have much troble getting it to stay together...
I did not know there was a plastic cup that went with the set... Mine only came with the fuel bottle...
Thanks for the tip for using a army issue can-opener to lock it in place.

The one I am having problems with is the Crusader Cooker/Cup/ and NATO Water Bottle and Mug combanation... I may have to make a bag just to hold it...

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
@ jamesraykenney

Hi! This is the army issue infantry stove. I suppose you are lucky and found a good one which is not so worn. But this is not Trangia who manufactures them. I really don´t know who does but it´s not Trangia for sure. I forgot to add the fuel bottle and the thermos as well. When you collect the stove when you start your military service you get the lot already described. (http://www.bbfab.se/) Use the link and look for "Diverse militärt" and scroll down to the drawing of the stove. You can see the cup to the left of the pot and the can opener to the far right. The water bottle in aluminium next to the thermos is supposed to come with the webbing. To bad I can´t find a proper photo instead of the drawing. The trick to pack the stove is to make it as silence as possible. Because you don´t want to be heard by your enemies......... Managed to sort out the parka yet? /Swede

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
jamesraykenney said:
Is THIS the one you are talking about?
I do not have much troble getting it to stay together...
I did not know there was a plastic cup that went with the set... Mine only came with the fuel bottle...
Thanks for the tip for using a army issue can-opener to lock it in place.

The one I am having problems with is the Crusader Cooker/Cup/ and NATO Water Bottle and Mug combanation... I may have to make a bag just to hold it...

The one you linked to is, as swede said, the standard messkit. The rangers, (like I was :cool: ) uses the version that is a chinese copy of the standard civilian trangia:
jgakk.jpg

Difference? Hmm the strap goes through the lid instead of the wind shelter, and it made from thicker aluminium. And smaller than a civvy trangia..

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
big_swede said:
The one you linked to is, as swede said, the standard messkit. The rangers, (like I was :cool: ) uses the version that is a chinese copy of the standard civilian trangia:
jgakk.jpg

Difference? Hmm the strap goes through the lid instead of the wind shelter, and it made from thicker aluminium. And smaller than a civvy trangia..

The original that is in use by the swedsh army was made by Primus or Optimus, but are not manufactured anymore.

The burner to the Mess Kit has been made by Svea (now separeted into two companies Optimus and Primus) and later made by Trangia. Therefor the name Trangia mess kit.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Viking said:
The original that is in use by the swedsh army was made by Primus or Optimus, but are not manufactured anymore.

The burner to the Mess Kit has been made by Svea (now separeted into two companies Optimus and Primus) and later made by Trangia. Therefor the name Trangia mess kit.

Geez, ok, I was always told by my officers that it was a chinese copy, but you're probably right. Never heard the name trangia mess kit, only 'jägarkök'.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
big_swede said:
Geez, ok, I was always told by my officers that it was a chinese copy, but you're probably right. Never heard the name trangia mess kit, only 'jägarkök'.

The mess kit = Snuskburken
Jägarköket is called Primus or Optimus Tor, but most units have replaced it with a civilian Trangia.

Back to thread, the m90 parka and trousers was what we used instead of a sleeping bag when I did my service. Works really good and will keep you warm and snug.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Swede said:
@ jamesraykenney

Hi! This is the army issue infantry stove. I suppose you are lucky and found a good one which is not so worn. But this is not Trangia who manufactures them. I really don´t know who does but it´s not Trangia for sure. I forgot to add the fuel bottle and the thermos as well. When you collect the stove when you start your military service you get the lot already described. (http://www.bbfab.se/) Use the link and look for "Diverse militärt" and scroll down to the drawing of the stove. You can see the cup to the left of the pot and the can opener to the far right. The water bottle in aluminium next to the thermos is supposed to come with the webbing. To bad I can´t find a proper photo instead of the drawing. The trick to pack the stove is to make it as silence as possible. Because you don´t want to be heard by your enemies......... Managed to sort out the parka yet? /Swede

You mean ALL of this stuff packs inside the stove???:Wow:
p7.jpg

What is the difference between the Fältflaska i aluminium and the Fältflaska i grön plast?
What aluminium parts are replaced with plastic?
I have three of the heavy(steel???) green painted stoves(two now, I gave one to my godson) and one brand new one with an aluminium un-painted pan...
Are the ones on http://www.bbfab.se/div/p7.htm new or used? I would love to have a compleat set...
Kåsa is a cup, right?
Fältflaska is what???

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
jamesraykenney said:
You mean ALL of this stuff packs inside the stove???:Wow:
p7.jpg

What is the difference between the Fältflaska i aluminium and the Fältflaska i grön plast?
What aluminium parts are replaced with plastic?
I have three of the heavy(steel???) green painted stoves(two now, I gave one to my godson) and one brand new one with an aluminium un-painted pan...
Are the ones on http://www.bbfab.se/div/p7.htm new or used? I would love to have a compleat set...
Kåsa is a cup, right?
Fältflaska is what???

Fältflaska = Waterbottle
Old model is made of aluminiüm and has a cover made of wool.

Everything excepth the thermos and the water bottle fits in the mess kit.

Swede

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2006
Sweden Roslagen
@ jamesraykenney

Oops, sorry if I misled you with disinformation (is this sentence "speakable"?). Everything except following is stuffed into the stove: thermos, waterbottle & fuelbottle. If you want to have the burner inside the pot, put it in a plastic bag before the cup and be sure of that it is dry (don´t contain any fuel). For the moment I can only think of the waterbottle being upgraded from aluminium to plastic. The thermos is nicknamed "fältmarrakas" = fieldmarraca. If you drop it and the inner breaks (the inner is made of glass) you can make some music.... The M90 parka is nicknamed "komarock" = comacoat. Because you get calm and falls asleep (maybe) when you sit down for a while. The stove is nicknamed "snuskburk" = filthcan: Because it wasn´t cleaned so often (as it should!). I used to put in a small plasticbag before putting in food. The cleaning was easy then. At bbfab you can find old stuff like the "regnskydd". It´s equal to your basha. It´s a rhombic piece of tarpaluin coated with plastic with eyelets in the corners and buttons and buttonholes beside each other. You can make a windshelter using one or have it as a raincoat. If you have two you can connect them together and make a tent for two persons. Depending of how many you have the tent can be bigger. I ordered two and they were in mint condition. When I unwrapped the parcel and felt the smell, the memories came back from my time in the service. Too bad they don´t have a picture.

Kåsa is a cup and fältflaska is waterbottle. The old system (M58 grey uniforms) before the M59 (green uniforms) system had a waterbottle in aluminium. M58 uniforms where in wool and origins in II WW. The M59 bottle is in plastic and holds 0.7 litre. The M90 bottle is one litre and are very rare on the market. It looks similar to your own US model.

If you orderfrom bbfab ask them to find a stove which is as new as possible. I don´t know if all their gods are in mint condition but some are. Sometimes it says "oanvänd" which means unused.

If you need more translation, just let me know. /Swede

Edit: Took me some time to answer, some one else was faster.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Last year I picked up a brand new Swedish Extreme Cold Weather Coat for £60.

It's in goretex and comes in the Swedish camo pattern, which is a lot like some of the splinter patters but adapted (I presume) to fit the colours of conifer/birch forests of Scandinavia. Fully lined, snow skirt, pit zips, wire peaked hood. I'm very pleased with it.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Dunelm said:
Last year I picked up a brand new Swedish Extreme Cold Weather Coat for £60.

It's in goretex and comes in the Swedish camo pattern, which is a lot like some of the splinter patters but adapted (I presume) to fit the colours of conifer/birch forests of Scandinavia. Fully lined, snow skirt, pit zips, wire peaked hood. I'm very pleased with it.

Hmm, any pics? It's doesn't sound like any official issue coat I've seen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE