Lowe alpine sting - Weight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

esack

May 22, 2022
New Zealand
Hey guys,
I’m looking at picking up one a Lowe Alpine Sting for use in army reserves, just wondering what the actual weight of the thing is as there seems to be quite a few numbers floating around. I’ve seen 3.4kg stated from manufacturer, 1.7kg from users, 2.8kg from users…
Could someone who has one of these packs confirm a weight?
Any help much appreciated

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I didn't buy it yet but had it in my hands two weeks ago and did compare it with my Berghaus Atlas 4.

I guess approximately 2.600 g including the side pouches is correct. Or may be your 2.800g.
Perhaps there is a difference between generation 1 and 2 and original Lowe Alpine vs Arwy licence rucksacks.

If you like the pattern it's a good choice without any doubt. At Dutch sites you can also find it in black or even in their new camouflage pattern, but most are DPM of course. Plain OD ones are rare.

This guy is Dutch, speaks English and often offers nearly new ones:

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I weighed mine and it’s definitely not nearly 4kg, I can’t remember the weight - it’s on a thread on here somewhere, but from memory it’s sub-2kg

As an aside it’s a superb pack, I have 2 - my OD green genuine Lowe alpine and a DPM awry copy - both are excellent but the Lowe alpine is a bit better quality (the awry is not rubbish or anything though)

Great bags I use mine a LOT, can carry ridiculous weight in it, best bag I have had and I have tried a good few now…

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have to say if you are the sort of person who is into lightweight camping, cutting the handle off your toothbrush to save weight and that sort of thing, a military surplus rucksack is never going to be your thing. They are heavy but withstand a lot of abuse. I am however getting to that age where I would be better off attaching wheels to them rather than attempting to carry anything much on my back. It really is horses for course, if you have the stamina go for a Saracen and load it out with the kitchen sink. You can carry a heavy load out a short distance or a light load a long way, but be missing your comfort with what you left behind, there is never a solution to this problem and will keep threads like this going forever.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Whilst not the lightest of packs, being military surplus it's incredibly tough......but the weight of the pack is not the b all.......the overall weight of your load and the comfort of the pack are both the b all. The Sting helps enormously by having an adjustable back to ensure a good fit.

Laurentius' last half sentence is so true ;)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Right, I have weighed mine using some luggage scales. Now my scales won’t zero properly so you have to subtract 500g from each respective weight.

1.5kg empty with no side pouches. (Scales reads 2000g)
FEDA9286-F264-4BDD-955B-334E707A6C8B.jpeg

2.2kg with side pouches attached. Which is the Bag with 2 x side pouches and all accessory straps (Scale reads about 2700-2800g)
1E7EEC71-52DD-4F73-AA9A-50C40AC9817C.jpeg

And here is my scale ‘zero’d’ so you can see what you need to subtract.approx 500g
8B3E15C8-C710-492D-9CD9-A7C1810CBC59.jpeg

So granted. Not commercial calibrated scales but probably not miles off tbh.

Ed

Attachments

• 680CC0EF-F10D-4FC1-B56F-5F8F9C847967.jpeg
    680CC0EF-F10D-4FC1-B56F-5F8F9C847967.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE