Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jamie N

Oct 11, 2012
Hartlepool
Regardless of what is written law and what is custom, my experience has been that nobody minds where you wander so long as you treat the land with respect, ie. not hacking down trees and leaving litter. This seems fair enough to me and matches my own view (and I suspect everyone else's on this forum). This is definitely not the experience I had in England.
The story of how I came to move out here is rather predictable and not very interesting; in short, I met a Swedish girl whom I am now living with (known as 'sambo' here).
As for the requirement of permission to stay here, I have been on numerous websites and to the employment, tax and immigration offices and I get a lot of conflicting information. Getting the all-important Personal Number which is required for almost everything in Sweden, is proving difficult. I have done some contract work through the summer (and paid Swedish tax on my earnings), but am now looking for permanent employment. I have claimed nothing and no-one has threatened to deport me yet!

Jamie N

Oct 11, 2012
Hartlepool
As for the winter... everyone delights in telling me it can reach minus 30C. Can't say I'm looking forward to that!
I am living in Vasteras, but everyone seems to think that Dalarna is the most beautiful part of Sweden - I have been there a few times, but no further north than Mora (where the knives are made). But it seems wherever I am, I'm surrounded by trees and lakes.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Picture's picture's picture's... Sounds good to me, what sort of work are you looking for?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jamie N

Oct 11, 2012
Hartlepool
Pictures, as I mentioned, are a bit of a problem. Someone said I need 10 posts so I'm working on it :)
As for work, I'd consider almost anything, but my best chance, I think, is in something woodwork-related. I am calling myself a carpenter (well, snickrar)

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hej Jamie, so you are living about 100km south of me!
THE most important thing here as a foreigner is networking. Arbetsförmedlingen? Do not expect any help. Migrationsverket? They'll do anything exactly by the book.
My tip; join the local hembygdgårdförening, show your interest in their history, actively participate and show people you are willing AND trying to blend in. You can bet on it that those active there are also the ones who have an influencial position in the local society. Plus you'll learn about their society and train using the language.
And learn the language! Go to the SFI (Svensk For Invandrare). This is a free course you can apply for at the kommun. It'll give you a headstart and you show that you want to fit in. Swedes will really appreciate that!

Jamie N

Oct 11, 2012
Hartlepool
Thanks for the tips Ron. I did try to sign up for SFI, but they refused point blank unless I have a permanent Personal Number - which takes us back to the Arbetsformedlingen, Skatteverket, etc.
So I am trying to learn from a book and perhaps now online too.

I spent two years living in Sweden and managed to move around and see quite a few places mostly Northerly, I spent six months in Luleå, six in Örnsköldsvik and the rest of my time split between Stockholm, Västerås and Linköpping. A really beautiful country and I can provide some pictures

Photo19_16.jpg
My first attempt at making Sami bracelets

Arctic+Circle%2825%29.jpg
The Arctic Circle

Beaver+damage.jpg
Beaver Damage

Dog+sled.jpg
Watching Dog Sleds on the lake at Jukas Järvi

Finally+we+caught+something.jpg
Successful Strömming (herring)fishing trip

Norrdsken.jpg
An attempted picture of Norrdsken (Northern Lights)

Stor+Forsen.jpg
Storforsen

Sunset+over+Lule+%C3%84lv.jpg
Sunset over the estuary at Luleå

I'm not much of a photographer I'm afraid

Jamie N

Oct 11, 2012
Hartlepool
As a counter to your slogan, I remember: 'Better to remain quiet and let everyone think you a fool than to open your mouth and leave them in no doubt':lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE