Sweden in December

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Folks,
My wife and i are going to Sweden in December, my little sister has decided that she wants to get married there. We are supposed to be staying in Are, the ski resort. What sort of temperatures do you think it gets down too there (all the google info is very vague)?
We've never been to Sweden before (and really looking forward to it), anything that anybody would reccomend as a must to try (neither of us are fussed about downhill skiing). We're hopefully moving to Canada next year, so this will be a good chance for swmbo to experience proper winter weather for the first time ( god, i hope she likes it).
Any info or advice would be very greatfully received.
Cheers
Baggins

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
Hej Baggins - as they say over here.

Do you mean Åre in Jämtland? I was nearby in Jarpen, Feb 2009 and it was a relatively warm -8C with a lot of snow about. I traveled around a bit in Sweden and Jämtland was the region that appealed to me most from a scenic point of view. I went to the Lundhags factory outlet in Jarpen and picked up some of their boots on the cheap.
Winter weather here in Sweden is as unpredictable as anywhere these days. I live further south in the Västra Götalands region and last Winter was the coldest and snowiest for over 40 years with temps down as far as -30C. Who knows what it will be this time around but the Summer is following a similar pattern to last year - pretty awful with lots of rain. Go for layers of wool clothing and two or three layers of socks in your boots. Windproof/waterproof shell, wool or possum merino hat and quality winter gloves. Back when I could afford it I bought the best Winter gear available and have not regretted it - you'll be needing it all in Canada I would think.
By the way, in addition to the Lundhags outlet there is the Ullfrotte factory shop in Östersund with excellent reductions on the best base layers I have tried so far.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Visit the chocolate factory and Lundhags both well worth the visit. Maybe a day trip around Storulvån as well, away from the hectic Åre and they rent out everything you need and have a really good food.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Pretty much what others have said. December could be fairly mild (around 0 C) or fairly cold (-20 C); it is often when winter really comes for real. Good boots, a warm hat and good mittens are the things you may miss. For mittens, buy locally, I'd suggest lovikka woollen mitts made locally and worn under a shell. There are fairly good warm everyday boots to be had locally fairly cheaply (e.g. the "P-original", costs about SEK 800 and is perhaps not a bushcrafting boot, but good for everyday use).

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Pay a visit to Trondheim in Norway as well, it's a beautiful city just 163km from Åre. It's easy to travel there by train (direct). I spent some days in Trondheim a couple of years ago, spending the night in a hilleberg tent on the hill with a splendid view over the city. We also just came from Sweden and it was fun to see the differences between both countries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE