Snowy walks in Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
As I’m about to head back to the UK in time for the milder weather, I thought I’d share some photos from my walks here in snowy Småland, in southestern Sweden. It’s been mostly -7 to -10*C although a few days at around -16*C. Mostly I’ve been out for 1-2 h at a time and in ankle- to shin-deep snow. It’s been glorious even when the sky was completely overcast. The forests here are very blocky and often inundated by water, so it’s been nice to be able to take shortcuts over the frozen water where you’d normally have to go a long detour to get from one road to another.
IMG_20221215_144006340.jpg

My favourite place here is a small lake a few kilometers away that is home to the local swimming spot. The light is always amazing and it’s a lovely walk though the blueberry forest in all seasons. In the beginning of the week the ice was still quite weak, but yesterday people had been out skiing on it, hugging the shoreline.

353DFDCF-AC2D-4515-BBCF-E275C2545985.jpeg

Since there has been so much talking about cold weather clothes on the forum recently, I though I’d report on that too. As I kept moving for most of the time, not much extra clothes were needed - apart from synthetic midweigh long johns, warm Hesta mittens over thin knitted gloves. I got an Arc’teryx Atom LT Hoody jacket for my birthday in the summer that I have been pretty much living in it since early November (old cold stone house, rainy walks etc) and it’s been sufficient here as well, with a gortex jacket over top and a warm layer underneath. The only time I resorted to my bigger down jacket was taking the recycling to the recycling point one evening when it was really cold and windy.
IMG_20221216_152414808.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've only ever spent a week in January in Sweden. It was glorious. I was near the Norwegian border somewhere in the middle of the country..forgotten the name of the place now. I'd go back again anytime...but not with the group I went with...spoilt the whole trip! but I was able to get out into the birch forest and wonder around on my own. Especially loved the night. -20, but it was worth the dry cold, wandering around the woods, and watching the clear sparkling night skies. Not like the miserable grey damp winters here.

Reactions: SaraR and bopdude

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I've only ever spent a week in January in Sweden. It was glorious. I was near the Norwegian border somewhere in the middle of the country..forgotten the name of the place now. I'd go back again anytime...but not with the group I went with...spoilt the whole trip! but I was able to get out into the birch forest and wonder around on my own. Especially loved the night. -20, but it was worth the dry cold, wandering around the woods, and watching the clear sparkling night skies. Not like the miserable grey damp winters here.
I know what you mean regarding dry cold. The coldest was the day it got up to just below freezing and it was quite windy and quite humid. Brutal! But I’m from Southern Sweden so I’m quite used to it. Doesn’t make it any more enjoyable thought…

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
One of my first afternoon walks was at dusk and it was *just* about enough light to walk without using the headtorch, thanks to the snow. Tried taking some photos with my mobile phone - here's one of them:
IMG_20221211_164511800.jpg

Spent the evening reading about mesopic vision. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thankyou very much, Sara. Those places could be 1-2 km from my house. It's a fact that any day of-5C is well worth wasting in a long walk in the woods.
Question: Do you carry any food/snacks and drink? Any simple navigation aids? Fire making supplies?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Thankyou very much, Sara. Those places could be 1-2 km from my house. It's a fact that any day of-5C is well worth wasting in a long walk in the woods.
Question: Do you carry any food/snacks and drink? Any simple navigation aids? Fire making supplies?
Totally agree, -5 to -10*C and dry air is perfect weather for being outside and just enjoying it all.

These were all short walks (4-8 km or so) in an area I know fairly well, so I only brought a small headtorch (that I never used), highviz vest for walking along the main road (as I couldn’t find my reflective dangly thing that most Swedish women would have in their coat pocket) and a mobile phone for just in case.

I’ve never got lost there before now, as I keep track of which direction I’m going in, but there are 3 long straight features (2 main roads at an angle to each other and a disused railway track), so as long as you don’t cross those and get completely disorientated it is very hard to get very lost. Only once did I venture out onto a new track that I’ve never been on before, but I new to head ”up and left” to get back to the main road and I had plenty of daylight left.

Having said that that I usually have my phone running to track how far I’ve walked and 4G is great there so could easily find out which direction to head in if I did get myself lost. The map only shows roads, not paths, but that’s usually more than enough. The ground is generally too wet and blocky for venturing off-path, but in some places that’s an option too.

I did bring a ”kexchoklad” (chocolate wafer bar) one day and had it by the lake, but in general, I don’t bring anything with me for walks unless that’s part of if. E.g. DH and I often bring a jetboil or flask and stop to have a cup of tea somewhere and soak in the atmosphere. There is a overnight shelter with a fire place near the lake and there’s a a big concrete fire pit by the swimming spot, but I wouldn’t light a fire elsewhere as either there is a fire ban (in summer) or it’s impossible to get firewood without carrying it with you (or both). The overnight shelter usually has some firewood ready, but it feels better to leave that for people who might be staying the night, plus the smell will attract attention and I’d rather stay low-key.

We’ve done some longer overnight hikes with our hammocks, where we got dropped off and walked back to the house over two days. It’s perfect hammocking country and the reason I got my hammock in the first place. :D But again, low-key is the way to go.

In hot weather or if planning to go more than 8-10 km, I do bring water. Even for overnight hikes I would bring enough for the duration, as the ground around the glass factories still has quite high levels of stuff you’d rather not get into your system…

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
That all looks and sounds stunning!
I love visiting! Every season has it's charms and you can lose yourself in the woods for as long as you want, even just 5 min from the house. Loads of cute little cottages too and truly impressive stone walls built by hand by subsistence farmers clearing little pockets of land for growing crops crisscrossing the countryside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE