Planning Skiing in Sweden - request for information

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Preserved ( either raw or boiled) Lingon were an important source of Vit C.
One thing you should try is Gravad salmon or trout.
A dessert made with Cloudberries.
Reindeer, moose. Rock ptarmigan. Deer. Some restaurant might have wild boar.

Many restaurants in Scandinavia seems to have many vegetarian dishes. Cheaper ingredients, larger profit.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
In Norway we had reindeer meat, a local variety of berry in a kind of cheesecake and most definitely various kinds of that gravelax (sic) stuff. Salmon, trout, mackerel in various styles of pickling. I'm a big fan if UK rollmops so that filled my plate on most buffet meals.

We had a buffet breakfast every day some had pickled fish too. Lunch we ate quick snacks like local pot noodles, cheese, bread and salamis / cured meats. Dinner was set meals with a few choices or some nights a buffet with more choice. Buffets led to a certain heaviness due to over indulgence.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If the hotel serves a traditional Swedish breakfast buffet, it is very different from the Norwegian. What they serve in Norway is like half of the items on a Swedish Christmas smorgas bord.
Cheeses are different, hams and salamis too.
The mountain chain dividing Norway and Sweden has made foods to evolve differently.
My guess is that you will see more cereals, various fermented milks, fruit, cheeses, ham, eggs.
Think a modified International.

(I always mentally puke when I go for a breakfast in a Norwegian hotel.
Pickled herring, smoked mackerel, mackerel and herring in tomato sauce, smoked and Norwegian style gravad salmon......
Careful navigation past those towards the bread, cheese and cereal with fruits....)

You will have fun!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Holidays are what you make them. With a 7 year old it'll be fun.

Not least a complete novice skier of a dad scared witless trying to keep on two skis at speed just to keep in touch with him. His mother is normally an overprotective parent but despite being the experienced skier she pootles down doing nice, steady carving turns leaving me to look after our son. Still, I'm not competitive honest and I still beat him to the bottom. Obviously so pumped full of adrenaline I'm high as a kite! Reminds me of the old days if dropping over the lip if a 29 foot waterfall in grade 4/5 Rapids. There's only difference being kayaking was at a high level I was only skiing on a green slope. To be fair though, I'd only had 2 or 3 hours of lessons and not much more time on or own practicing.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE