Swc knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Just wondering if anyone can help me, i returned a SWC knife Steve had made for me a couple of years ago after the spalted elm burr handle broke and as the knife came with a lifetime guarantee, so i looked forward to getting it back as good as new.

I emailed Steve about it and he said that if i sent it to him he would rectify it as soon as possible - that was months ago, i then emailed him at beginning of April and he said i would have the knife back end of April, but i have heard nothing from him since and have emailed him constantly but with no reply.

Now i know Steve is a busy man because of his Woodlore work but his communication and admin is just awful. I used to have his mobile number but cant remember where i wrote it down, does anyone have his number or another email address so i can contact him about this.

Please do not post his number on this forum but send me a pm with it included if you could as i dont wont him getting bothered with a thousand knife questions.

If anyone could help me out in this matter or if Steve himself reads this and gets back to me, i would be most grateful.....

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Now been over 4 months since i returned by knife to SWC to be fixed, i was promised that by the end of april i would have my knife back fixed to original standard, but since then i have emailed steve over 10 times without reply and still no knife.

This was my dream knife and cost me a small fortune, he really does make superb knives but his customer service is absolutely shocking, this guy has a history of taking peoples money then ignoring any communication, my advise would be to stay away from him and go to a maker who will still make a beautiful blade but will also undertake some form of customer service, i am so disappointed with him that i was planning to get a knife made to match mine for my young son to give him when hes older, but no way would i use this guy any more...his guarantee isnt worth the paper its written on..

If anyone has a copy of his phone number, please pm me as i cant get hold of him and i desperately want my knife returned to me.....it cost me the best part of nearly £300 and it cant do much use to me in the woods if its on his shelf...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Not a member on there Rich, but it might be a good idea to try and get some info on there, thanks for the idea mate, has your kit arrived yet, hope its not been lost, we could have a bushcraft meet/hike in the year 2065 when your gear arrives and my knife gets returned to me.....:lmao:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
hi mate, if i had waited that long, i would have gone to his work place by now, and collected the knife in person and i would have asked for some answers, are you sure he is ok, and there is nothing wrong, like, has he fell ill? because that is an awfully long time for some one not to get back to you.
i hope you find your answers mate, as there is nothing worse than to have paid for something like that, and then not get what you have saved so hard for, i bet you feel like banging your head against a wall i no i would, you have a lot more patience than me bud.
take care.
lee.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
hi mate, if i had waited that long, i would have gone to his work place by now, and collected the knife in person and i would have asked for some answers, are you sure he is ok, and there is nothing wrong, like, has he fell ill? because that is an awfully long time for some one not to get back to you.
i hope you find your answers mate, as there is nothing worse than to have paid for something like that, and then not get what you have saved so hard for, i bet you feel like banging your head against a wall i no i would, you have a lot more patience than me bud.
take care.
lee.

I would normally check that out mate, but doing searches about him on the internet it seems he has always been like this, replies to your initial request for a knife and the payment then contact with him is then zero, i know he is really busy but just to take an hour a week to do his admin and reply to emails is just good customer service...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not a member on there Rich, but it might be a good idea to try and get some info on there, thanks for the idea mate, has your kit arrived yet, hope its not been lost, we could have a bushcraft meet/hike in the year 2065 when your gear arrives and my knife gets returned to me.....:lmao:

Yeah all landed yesterday mate, dead chuffed I am

Hoping to get out for a super sneaky overnighter on Saturday

I don't know anything about SWC but if you google his full name you'll find a couple of recent threads on BB with similar communication issues. Like I said though I don't know him so can't comment, anything could have happened or he's just choosing to ignore his mailbox until he's caught up on the RM workload.

Hope you get sorted soon mate

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Maybe drop the guys at woodlore a note to see if they can assist in getting in touch? He's obviously in touch with them in some form or other as he's making the knives for them still. they might help.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Maybe drop the guys at woodlore a note to see if they can assist in getting in touch? He's obviously in touch with them in some form or other as he's making the knives for them still. they might help.
thats a good idea stu, as they are very helpfull, and if they can't get incontact with him, then its really time to worry mate.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
You should write to him (on paper, either at his business or home address, using a recorded delivery service) giving him a reasonable time to rectify the problem or to propose a solution which is acceptable to you. You should also state in the letter that if he does not respond within the time allowed, or if his response is unacceptable, you will take the matter to the County Court. Tell him that the County Court route will cost him more than if he resolves the situation satisfactorily without the Court's involvement. For example, the Court charges fees, and assuming the Court eventually found in your favour the defendant (he) would have to reimburse the fees that the plaintiff (you) had paid. These are your rights. He already knows all that of course.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/Makingacourtclaimformoney/index.htm

Often the Courts consider that seven days is a reasonable time. Less than that is not usually considered reasonable. In view of the length of time that you have already waited a longer time might be more reasonable. I would suggest fourteen days or perhaps even 21 days, but not longer. It does not have to be a multiple of seven days.

If your statements are true (and I have no reason to doubt them) then the behaviour of this maker is unacceptable. If he cannot run his business properly he should simply stop taking money from people.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thanks guys for all the good advice, i will give it all a try, the worst thing is that i really love this knife and the whole situation is starting to really annoy me but i dont want it to spoil the feeling i have for my first knife that i had made for me, thats if i ever get it back to me that is.

Rich, i glad all your things arrived safely and i hope you have plenty of fun weekends playing with your new kit...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Had a few pm's from some of you guys, giving me some details, many thanks, it never ceases to amaze me how people on here will go out of their way and try to help some one they have never met.

So once again many thanks for all you guys who have tried to help me in this matter. much appreciated

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Col, where abouts in the country is SWC based? If he lives near me, I'll deliver your letter by hand :)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Naaah, send it recorded then you have written proof that he received it.

Yeah Stew but will the postie "MAKE HIM AN OFFER HE CANT REFUSE" Thats what our Trunks was offering i think, although on second thoughts we might have to go and see him mob handed as i believe there is a chance that he may have a few knives around the place.:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE