SWC knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Still, I am amazed by the differences in handling that I have observed over the years on various woodlore clones. Not even on the clones but also on the WS and AW models.

A slightly slimmer/fatter blade or handle profile can do a lot towards weight distribution, comfort and maneuverability. Different handle materials likewise and not even speaking about the various grind heights. Not really important in incidental and rough tasks, but pretty much so if you use the thing intensely over a weeks course.

To state that all woodlores and derivatives are just the same is therefore -well- in a way nonsense :)

I did say using the same materials and specs though :) 2 woodlores made from identical materials with identical specs from 2 talented makers wont be different enough to notice.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The profile on AWs Woodlores have changed radically over the last seven years. It used to be a slim design with quite slim handles. Alan then started making the handles fatter and more angular, and now his blades have started to get quite high.

Here's what the profile looked like on the early ones, quite slim and flat:

woodlore_knife_3.png

Then we had this version, which was slightly bigger as seen compared to the WS:

DSC00399.jpg

Then the whole knife started to get chunkier:

100_0023-1.jpg

And now this is one of the latest ones, and if you look at the depth of the blade compared to the others, it's just huge!!!!! The Woodlore etching is the same size on all the knives:

P1000178.jpg

P1000196.jpg

Ray Obviously likes his handles quite big and chunky too, and they are very much bigger than the maple handled AWs that you buy at Woodlore:

Woodlore.jpg

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It would seem from your pics that the grind angle has changed too. Going from a higher finer grind on the top pics to a more obtuse grind on the bottom.

I reckon they have changed to save AW time on each piece. If his steel is 30mm wide to begin with then taking less off is obviously quicker and a more obtuse grind is quicker So the later knives look like they will be faster to make than his earlier ones which would seem to follow the length of the waiting list.

Just my thoughts.:)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, your right, the grind angle is very very different in this latest batch of Woodlores. I bet AW is not supplying nearly as many as he was four years ago, which obviously adds to the waiting time.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Yeah, your right, the grind angle is very very different in this latest batch of Woodlores. I bet AW is not supplying nearly as many as he was four years ago, which obviously adds to the waiting time.

I bet the list is longer than we imagine.

PS. I only answered that to post this again: :D

mycollectionh.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I meant Mears' original knife, if that's the one :)

Yeah, Rays first would have that stamping too. I'd like his second one, the first in antler that he used during Tracks and his World of and Extreme Survival series up until 2003/4. He wore it down to a sharp point he'd had it that long. Great knife that one. Very similar to AndyP's Instructor Woodlore below, only the blade was much more worn and lacked that belly near the tip, and the antler was polished and had no bark.

woodlore_knife_3.png

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
What sort of wood is the second one on the right?

I'm deciding on what wood I will use on my scales, thinking of some chocolate brown wood or maybe some kind of burled wood.

The top two knives on the right are the same knife, it is just the camera angle that makes them look different.

But to answer your question from the RM site:

" In the spirit of recycling, the handle is made from reclaimed Iroko wood; salvaged from an old church, the wood dates back around 300 years. A hardwood from tropical Africa, Iroko is typically used to make boats and furniture as it is very durable and needs little treatment when used outdoors. Initially a yellow-coloured wood, it darkens over time to the rich brown that can be seen on our handles. "

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/743-The-Ray-Mears-Bushcraft-Knife/

HTH

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
The top two knives on the right are the same knife, it is just the camera angle that makes them look different.

But to answer your question from the RM site:

" In the spirit of recycling, the handle is made from reclaimed Iroko wood; salvaged from an old church, the wood dates back around 300 years. A hardwood from tropical Africa, Iroko is typically used to make boats and furniture as it is very durable and needs little treatment when used outdoors. Initially a yellow-coloured wood, it darkens over time to the rich brown that can be seen on our handles. "

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/743-The-Ray-Mears-Bushcraft-Knife/

HTH

I like the colour, but I don't want to make a replica.
Maybe some Cocobolo wood, or some old reclaimed wood.

As a have to wait a few months for my blade to be ready, I have enough time to look for something special. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE