SWC knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Wow!!

Now you even have made it worse, it will take months to choose. :eek::D

I also like the idea of some old reclaimed wood, maybe take a small piece of wood from the back of somebody's antique bookcase, or go to church for the fist time. :D;)

cheers

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The wood on his RM knife is nice:

DSC05108.jpg

But the slabs are really much to thin and insubstantial compared to my knives. I find gripping it for any length of time a real effort. But that's just me.

DSC05114.jpg

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
That is a big difference! :eek:

As I am making my own scales and my hands aren't that small, I will make them a bit fatter.

Can you make some measurements of the thickness of the handle of your knife?

And is the width of the handle( at the "belly") the same?

Thanks

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The thickness at the widest point in that pic is 28mm. From spine to belly at the widest point is 32.5mm. The smallest measurement from spine to belly is 29mm.

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Thanks JonathanD goodjob

I was just wondering if there's a big difference in the size belly/spine between the two knives, if the SWC RM knife is smaller it would be harder to make the scales fatter. ( I've ordered a SWC kit blade)

Thanks

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You can definately put much thicker slabs on the SWC and I think it would benefit from them too. I guess RM wants a distinctive difference between the SWC and AW versions. The Wilkinson Sword knives varied in the thickness of the slabs quite a bit. I had a few and the difference could be quite vast.

My instructors Woodlore has much thicker slabs than the norm. I will take comparison pictures of that and the SWC for you tomorrow so you can judge for yourself.

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
My instructors Woodlore has much thicker slabs than the norm. I will take comparison pictures of that and the SWC for you tomorrow so you can judge for yourself.

Thanks, I would be very interested in that.
It will take some time before I will get the knife-blade yet, but you cant do enough research. :D

Cheers

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Ah well - I could always take up religion and visit the nearest old church with a bible and a bahco laplander :)

I must say that the handle slabs look fantastic on the SWC - I'll report on it when I get it and take some shots next to my beloved old model AW. Curious to see if they are thicker than my AW handle slabs. Balance should be nice with the slight taper.

-Emile

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Ah well - I could always take up religion and visit the nearest old church with a bible and a bahco laplander :)

I must say that the handle slabs look fantastic on the SWC - I'll report on it when I get it and take some shots next to my beloved old model AW. Curious to see if they are thicker than my AW handle slabs. Balance should be nice with the slight taper.

-Emile

myraymearsbushcraftknif.jpg

myraymearsbushcraftknifu.jpg

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Cheers Martin -but from the looks of it- my AW Woodlore seems to predate yours. Nice fat handle on that AW of yours . The scales on mine are very much like the SWC. I suspect the SWC even wins in thickness.

Is there anybody around that has given the knife some actual use and can comment on balance and edge holding?

-Emile

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Cheers Martin -but from the looks of it- my AW Woodlore seems to predate yours. Nice fat handle on that AW of yours . The scales on mine are very much like the SWC. I suspect the SWC even wins in thickness.

Is there anybody around that has given the knife some actual use and can comment on balance and edge holding?

-Emile

AW/RM Woody Maple Handle

- 226mm Total Length
- 114mm Butt to end of scales
- 112mm Scales to tip
- 137mm Tip to COB

RM Bushcrafter

- 221m Total Length
- 112mm Butt to end of scales
- 109mm Scales to tip
- 130mm Tip to COB

Thought you would have included the wilki woodlore as well Martin just to show you've got the full set :pokenest:

:pokenest: indeed :lmao:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Saw this amendment to SWC Page and thought i would bump the thread. Just goes to show if you scream hard enough and in unison people will listen.

http://swc-handmade-knives.com/ORDERING-AND-ENQUIRIES

"I am changing the way I take orders. From now on I will book in months. When a month is filled with orders the next month will become available when that month is full the next will open and so on. That way when placing an order you will know when you are going to get it.
At the moment I am booking September 2010. So if you order now you will receive your items in September."

So hopefully everyone will now know what the general ETA is for a Knife.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Saw this amendment to SWC Page and thought i would bump the thread. Just goes to show if you scream hard enough and in unison people will listen.

http://swc-handmade-knives.com/ORDERING-AND-ENQUIRIES

"I am changing the way I take orders. From now on I will book in months. When a month is filled with orders the next month will become available when that month is full the next will open and so on. That way when placing an order you will know when you are going to get it.
At the moment I am booking September 2010. So if you order now you will receive your items in September."

So hopefully everyone will now know what the general ETA is for a Knife.

That's a better system, should take the strain off somewhat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE