swazi jackets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi there guys,ive been saving for a new jacket for a while now so id like some advice from anyone who has used swazi outer layers.
I know these sound expensive but i think you get what you pay for,but ive never had a good look at anything from swazi before.
Any advice will be cool.
Thanks Soloman.

K.NYPH

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2009
Leicestershire
I use swazi Driback micro fleece pants in realtree they are great,light,quiet and have a water proof bum so sitting on a damp log is a pleasure.
BUT
If you are looking for a jacket I would stongly recommend 100% wool,Filson in the US is the Dogs ********,Or Swandri is also very good the reason for this is comfort & it also allows your body breath ,man made fleece fibre makes you sweat.When you are fire making wool does not melt which is a big plus.and it will wear better.Hope this is of some use.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have the Swazi Tahr but I got it for nowt from a friend of my bro :) The only thing that bugs me is the cuffs which can get annoying during heavy downpours. The rest of the coat keeps me bone dry underneath but the cuffs are crap imho.

Are you going to the Achray meet ? I'll stick mine in the car if you can wait that long.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I recently got a Tahr and love it - and I don't find the cuffs annoying at all, quite the opposite they seem to be more comfortable (and waterproof) than any other jacket I've owned.

Tobes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I recently got a Tahr and love it - and I don't find the cuffs annoying at all, quite the opposite they seem to be more comfortable (and waterproof) than any other jacket I've owned.

Tobes

I think it's just when they get so wet from heavy downpours they feel cold against the skin and mine seem to let a little water in eventually. I think I've heard of some folk even turning them up inside.

Great coat otherwise and probably my number one choice for foul weather.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I use a 5-6 year old swandri now, Exteme version.
It's got one wear hole in the back, still comfortable to wear, still warm. buttons are a bit slack now, but it's a great piece of kit and should last another few years yet.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Only snag with the Swanndris is that they're too good at what they do. It's a winter jacket only for me as I run quite hot and I boil in a Swanndri unless I'm either sat doing nothing or it's below 10 deg C.

So, in the UK, a Tahr might get more use if you're out in the rain a lot.

Vibrant

Jan 10, 2009
Australia
I've got the One Tough Mutha jacket and overpants. Bullet proof. The overpants are a bit of a pain as I cant get them on over my boots - I am considering getting them modified.

But its very well made, tough kit. Expensive but you are unlikely to have to replace it in the short or medium term.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I had a Swazi Tahr (the Woodlore one with two breast pockets) and really didn't like it much. The neoprene cuffs meant that the arms could play no part in ventilating the top, the storm flap over the zip was massive and got in the way, I bemoaned the lack of hand-warmer pockets and the whole thing made me look and feel like Friar Tuck. I know others sing their praises and I will admit the fabric was waterproof and quiet but, for significantly fewer pounds, you can pick up a Paramo jacket or smock and it doesn't matter if it gets snagged and ripped in the woods - it'll still work. Personally, I don't think the Swazi waterproofs are all they're cracked up to be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE