Svord peasant knife..EDC legal??

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
As the title implies, I'd like to know if it is true about the Svord peasant knife being just over the 3" legal mark..

Do any of you guys have one? If so can you confirm the blade length for me please and your thoughts on it as a working/everyday knife.

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Svord-Knives/c-1-92-695/

people on there have said in reviews about the blade but the specs claim otherwise.

:confused:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It's not legal out the box, most people grind some off the tip, but I ground off a small section near the handle - this allows me to restore it to it's previous state if needed. The blad lenght is 3", but the cutting edge length is slightly longer. It's a 2 minute job with a dremel and a cracking knife.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's not legal out the box, most people grind some off the tip, but I ground off a small section near the handle - this allows me to restore it to it's previous state if needed. The blad lenght is 3", but the cutting edge length is slightly longer. It's a 2 minute job with a dremel and a cracking knife.

ah! that makes sence, I didn't like the idea of nipping the end off but if it is just the edge that exceeds 3 inches and not the blade then that's gooog news for me! I've got a dremel 300, I use the brown disks for cutting metal..should I use them or the green stones that came with it?

I saw on a youtube bushcraft page the guy has slightly reshaped the handle and then oiled it with linseed. have you done anything like this?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
ah! that makes sence, I didn't like the idea of nipping the end off but if it is just the edge that exceeds 3 inches and not the blade then that's gooog news for me! I've got a dremel 300, I use the brown disks for cutting metal..should I use them or the green stones that came with it?

I saw on a youtube bushcraft page the guy has slightly reshaped the handle and then oiled it with linseed. have you done anything like this?

Don't cut it, just grind it flat. I took the point off the end a little (of the handle) and sanded down the scales as they'd been fitted slightly off. Next job is making my own scales. But despite that I still love the thing. It's simple, solid and practical.

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
sounds like a nice bit of kit, simple and effective. I did double check the knife law page on here but I'm still not 100%..is it deffinately the cutting edge that can't exceed the 3 inches? I don't believe a police officer won't just measure the entire blade even if the edge is less than 3" and start getting out the 'cuffs.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
the blade is 3" exactly, it's the edge that's longer. Think of a triangle - the slope is always longer than the vertical/horizontal

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for mountainm, so when I get mine Shall I grind a few mm of the bottom edge to make it blunt/blank? Or grind A round chunk out just to be on the safe/legal side?

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
While I don't doubt the knowledge and integrity of you guys it seems strange to me that the 3" rule is justified just because of the working blade length.

I have not done any research into this but if memory serves, when I first heard about the 3" rule, it was based on a) a blade for an EDC had to be of a certain effective length or there would be no point in having a blade in the first place

but this had to be tempered with b) at what distance when plunged into a body does a blade start to do serious damage (apologies for the simplification).

My point, therefore, (if you will excuse the pun) is, [and I exaggerate], surely if you have a 5" blade filed down to even a 2" working length it is the first inch or so that will do the cutting, but a thrust will plunge the knife into the body up to five inches with the blade continuing to cut all the way.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers
Sack

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The reason I'm not completely certain is because like Large sack mentioned about a 5" blade with only 2 inche of sharpened edge being legal but not the Svord due to a few mm of extra edge on it's 3" blade..

The law sections don't seem to be clear/consistant about the 3" rule on blade/edge length.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Read the S139 wording exactly it plain and exact

ATB
Duncan
from tapatalk phone

just googled it and the extracts say the cutting edge on one extract but blade on another..and that a policeman would measure the 'blade' of the knife, I will phone my local police station and ask directly for more information and will let you guys know waht they say.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Right, just got off the phone from my local police station..

After politely asking for some clarification on section 139 of the criminal justice act and specifically refering to the 'edge or blade length' part of my inquiry she quite simpley stated it is the blade 'length' and not edge that needs to be 3 inches or less to be legal.

But she also stated that anyone carrying a folding pocket knife with a 3 inche or less blade would need a good reason to do so, all the information she had on the topic was as she said on the computer infront of her. Now I even quoted the section 139 myself from this site.. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139 ..and she still insisted her information sheet was correct.

I have to say though, she clearly didn't want talk to me about it the subject and kept insisting it's illegal to carry any knife without a good reason such as 'camping'.

This is why I question the matter, the fact the police don't have the correct information themselves..or the fact we aren't being given the right information when we try to research it ourselves.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
You are being given the right info chap, at least by reading section 139 it is black an white.

Here's some further reading,

Cps Charges and defence.

It is the cutting edge, The police have been found wanting on a few occasions in knowledge of this act, seemingly treating it as a blanket "you must have good reason to carry any knife" simply not true.

"copy and paste from above site"
Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 prohibits the possession in a public place of any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed, (including a folding pocket knife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 7.62cm/3 inches) (Archbold, 24 -125)

Section 139A of the 1988 Act extends the geographical scope of both of the above offences to school premises.

18. For the purposes of sections 139 and 139A of the Act:

a butterknife, with no cutting edge and no point is a bladed article; (Booker v DPP 169J.P. 368, DC);
a screwdriver is not a bladed article; (R v Davis [1998] Crim L.R. 564 CA);
a "lock knife" does not come into the category of "folding pocket knife" because it is not immediately foldable at all times; (Rv Deegan [1998] 2 Cr.App,R 121 CA)."copy and paste from above site"

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just had a good read of the CPS site and again it specifically mentions the cutting edge like the government legislation does.

Why then do the people at the police station not give me the correct answer even when I ask them specifically and quote section 139?

Incompetance?

Or are they so anti knife that they don't want to give out correct information in an attempt to confuse and stop us from carrying perfectly legal pocket knives?

I behave in a respectable and law abiding manner BUT I think when my Svord comes in the post I will print off the section 139 of the criminal justice act and tuck it away neatly in the bottom of my knife pouch just incase I'm asked about it by any policeman. Thanks for all the input guys, very much appreciated!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE