Svord peasant knife..EDC legal??

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Checked downstairs this morning and it was there! damn fast delivery and I will deffinately be buying there again.

anyway after a few cutting tests on some seasoned plum branch I had laying about I decided to rework the rough V shaped bevel and whet stoned it into a decent smooth convex edge then polished it up with a diamond/emerald stone to get it hair poppingly sharp. ;)

I have to say, the balance and shape of the knife blade is very nice indeed with a very rustic feel that I very much like in knives.

I'm having a little difficulty in taking the knfie apart though.. other than the two screw bolts in the handles there is one little brass pin that seems to be stuck in quite hard and I don't feel comfortable being rough with it just yet and I need to open it up to reshape the uneven scales and so forth.

Any advice on how to prise the scales apart?

some pictures I just took, got more on my phone of it before I opened it but I'll get them off later.

SPK1.jpg

SPK2.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've seen a few where the back end of the blade has been made into a rather useful finger choil to reduce the cutting edge

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Checked downstairs this morning and it was there! damn fast delivery and I will deffinately be buying there again.

anyway after a few cutting tests on some seasoned plum branch I had laying about I decided to rework the rough V shaped bevel and whet stoned it into a decent smooth convex edge then polished it up with a diamond/emerald stone to get it hair poppingly sharp. ;)

Any reason for changing the bevel? It's very easy to sharpen in the field as it comes.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Any reason for changing the bevel? It's very easy to sharpen in the field as it comes.

Yeah it was uneven on each side, high and low here and there and I thoguht it would atleast look better if I evened them out. It looks smoother and less factory sharpened now, just a personal taste of mine but it didn't need it, it cut very well before.

Have you opened yours up mountainm? if so, any tips on prising the apart without damaging anything?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
prying them apart is easy - undo the screw - put something pointy in the other end and the whole thing falls apart

I'm planning to make a ckc hiker out of an old one of mine once I've found some nice wood :D

1250019692-cKc1.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Yeah it was uneven on each side, high and low here and there and I thoguht it would atleast look better if I evened them out. It looks smoother and less factory sharpened now, just a personal taste of mine but it didn't need it, it cut very well before.

Have you opened yours up mountainm? if so, any tips on prising the apart without damaging anything?

Nah, I'm not popping it open until I have some new scales ready - I'd like to make my own. If I was to try then I'd remove the screws then try to rotate the top scale around the pin.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Nah, I'm not popping it open until I have some new scales ready - I'd like to make my own. If I was to try then I'd remove the screws then try to rotate the top scale around the pin.

Yeah I'd like some new scales too, preferably from a nice hard wood but I don't have the experience to make them myself.

I hear olive oil can used to treat wooden scales, would it leave them a bit greasy or does it all soak in over a few days?

Corso, that looks like a good idea if you have a spair blade!

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I wouldn't use olive oil - it's a non-drying oil and may eventually go rancid.

Use a drying oil like Walnut oil (from the supermarket) or Flaxseed oil (from the supermarket - same as linseed oil) or Linseed oil (DIY stores or interestingly horse/equestrian suppliers - it's a recognised food supplement for horses) or Tung oil (DIY stores). I used Tung oil on my wooden handled Svord. It gave a nice matt finish which I far prefer to the gloss varnish.

Cheers

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the advice mate! Got it apart rather easily once I tried properly then sanded the rough point off of the bottom of the handle and tried to make each scale more symetrical.. though I think the bolt on the bottom end might be responsible for the alignment issue of the scales. I'm considering putting a few mm long pin in the bottom end for added rigidity but I'll need to find a desired tension first.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Without trying to be funny, I think a policeman might interpret the SP as a fixed blade knife with a folding handle! If you took the wooden handle off, you would be left with a fixed blade knife with a small handle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE